Cycling more dangerous than motorbiking? BEWARE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnus

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So this morning I met up with a friend of mine and three of his friends for a lekker early off-road outride.  I was on the G450X and all of them on Quads.  So we parked at the Engen garage on the corner of Nellmapius and Boeing and set off towards Kempton Park on the gravel road that eventually turns into a 2-track path.

Initially I had my reservations being the only 2-wheeler between all the quads, because with last night's rain it was quite soggy.  But it turned out that they go slower  :p  So Jurie lets me pass a short distance into the 2-track path and I was creating a nice gap between myself and the group when I saw two guys about 100m away waving at me to get my attention.  I immediately saw that they were cyclists by the way they were dressed and also suspected that there was a problem looking at the distress on their faces.

They told me that they were just attacked and their bicycles stolen and they pointed me in the direction of the highway, which was about 1km to my left.  I immediately turned into the veld trying to locate the criminals, at the same time wondering profusely what on earth I would do when I actually find one/them!  I was soon joined by the guys on the quads and before long they started zooming into a specific spot.  As I was approaching the scene, there was no mistaking what was happening.  They found the one #^#$%@ and were kicking and beating the living $#!+ out of him.  From the uniform, it was apparent that this was one of the road construction workers - the ones with the blue overalls with the yellow bands across the legs.  So after priming the suspect for conversation, one of the guys tied a rope around his wrist and told him to show us where his buddy was.  He pointed and ran towards the highway and we gave chase.  Not easy to scout while riding in the veld with rocks and holes lurking in the grass...  :eek:

As I approached the road (a slipway of some sorts), I spotted the other %@#$% and started chasing him, but he got to the fence before I did.  One of the quad guys joined up with me and we went over the road into a construction yard between the slipway and highway.  Once again he went through a fence and we had to go around again.  Then he crossed the highway and we took an overpass, only to lose the $#%$@ in thick vegetation on the other side.

We eventually gave up and went back to the place where the @$#%^# cleared the first fence and backtracked our way towards the general area where we started from.  By this time both of us were praying to at least get the stolen goods back since we did not manage to return with a prisoner.  I just could not accept that the @#$%# will come back later to pick up his loot.  It was like searching for a needle in a hay stack, with the grass varying from knee to hip height.  But soon enough our prayers were answered and we found the other bicycle, the one victim's shoes and his backpack.

At that moment a police bakkie showed up with the one victim in the back and after loading the stuff we went back to search for the other riders.  After meeting up with them, we realized that the #$%^$# that were beaten up got away in the commotion when we chased the second @#%^^#.  So no prisoners, just the victims reunited with they property.  And somewhere some construction worker missing a few teeth and sporting a moer-of-a-lot of bruises.

Apparently their modus operandi is to lie flat in the grass next to the road.  When they see/hear cyclists coming, they jump up and hit them with a stick.  Fortunately the cyclists wore caps, because the @#@%$% kept hitting them over their heads, but the one guy had a huge bruise on his arm where he tried to deflect a blow.

I'm not sure whether the criminals will try the same with motorcyclists.  When we ride off-road, we at least wear body armour and helmets, but a stick across the face at speed will potentially dismount you.  So this is just a warning to be vigilant in that area - specifically while the road construction is underway.  And to never, ever ride alone.