Damaraland goes around the BrandBerg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damaraland

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Myself, DarkMoll, Vlakhaas and a couple of other friends from the coast went for a trip around the Brandberg criss-crossing the Ugab.  Did a quick video RR - enjoy!

[flash=480,385]https://www.youtube.com/v/EO6eG9UzT28[/flash]

Very nice! Tx for sharing  :thumleft:

hierdie video het nou my dag ordentlik begin, baie dankie  :thumleft:

julle het regtig baie guts om met daai groot bikes daai sand te gaan aandurf.

hoe het die F650GS met die 19duim voorwiel over all gevaar? of kom sy pakslae in part2?

Dankie Damaraland vir die lekker begin van die dag. :thumleft:

I have great respect for you guys :thumleft: doing it on bikes down the Ugab.

We were 2 Hilux’s, that did the Ugab from Brandberg all the way down to Mil 108 in August this year.
A LOT of thick sand!
And then the rocky sections can be tricky as well.

Thanks for sharing :thumleft:

The 650 turned off at White Lady Lodge, so didn't partake in the sandy fun - I think it might have battled.  The sand is OK once you got going, the difficult part was getting away.  I have a smoothish Heidi on the rear with 9000 km's on, and as soon as there's a bit of wheelspin it just sinks in.  Had to be pushed out (not towed :biggrin:) about 3 times I think.  And this was with pulling away in 2nd gear. 

The real star of this trip was my buddy on his 1200GS (also with a 19").  I always kind of doubted the value that training like Country Trax and these guys would provide (I can mos ride a bike! >:D).  Let's just say I do not anymore.  The way he handled that bike in the sand was a revelation for me, and he attributed all his skills to the training.  No I can't wait to go myself!

Lekker video , thanks for sharing.
One of my most memorable days on a bike was the stretch between Kaoko Otavi (Opuwo) - to Orepembe, similar mix of terrain as your video.

Hi met eish

Next training is on the 27th September in Windhoek. The Country Track guys are coming up.  I can send you the details on a PM should you wish.

flippen awesome - been there three or four times - would go back tomorrow if i had half a chance.  you made my evening. THANKS

Brilliant! Terrain looks challenging and like loads of fun. I recently moved to Swakop and was checking out those roads on the map. Now I know what to expect  :drif: Did you need permits to any of the roads?

Nope no permits required at all. There can be elephants at certain times / locations though so best is to co-ordinate with someone knowledgable like Basil @ Brandberg Rest Camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tony M said:
Hi met eish

Next training is on the 27th September in Windhoek. The Country Track guys are coming up.  I can send you the details on a PM should you wish.

Yes please you never know, my SE is gathering dust in the mancave