Day trip RR: 3 Dams & around the Klein Swartberg mountains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karoo Rider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
Woke up this morning expecting the rain and bad weather they've predicted, but realized that you'll need at least one cloud in the sky for that to happen.  So with the wife having to help at a work function for the day and the kids already sorted with grandma it's not difficult to come to the conclusion that some riding needs to take place!

I decided to ride around the Klein Swartberg mountain range (hosting the highest peak in the Western Cape) and in the process I visited three of the major dams in the area, namely the Tierkloofdam in Seweweekspoort, Gamkadam and Floriskraaldam.

The trip went without incident and riding along these dirt roads truly is food for the soul!  Food for the stomach was obtained in the Laingsburg Steers where I also encountered about 5 or 6 other riders.  With their CAW and CBS registrations they briefly told me that they were on their way to Sutherland.  Only at their departure did I notice the WD footprint at the back of one of the bikes - must be some fellow dogs!

Below are some pictures of the trip:

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    183.6 KB
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    161.6 KB
  • IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    175.2 KB
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    152 KB
  • IMG_0102.jpg
    IMG_0102.jpg
    230.3 KB
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    138.9 KB
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    180 KB
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    176.6 KB
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    173.1 KB
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    319 KB
And a few more...

PS:  How do you add captions?

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    123.9 KB
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    273.6 KB
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    163.2 KB
  • IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    250.4 KB
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    168.8 KB
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    212 KB
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    144.7 KB
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    102.6 KB
Very nice. I was also in that area today - Plathuis and Touwsberg.

Dankie vir die komplimente sover, ja dit was 'n lekker trip! 

Die swart-wit foto met die oranje blomme is geneem met 'n verstelling op my kamera.  Jy kies vooraf enige prominente kleur en slegs dit word dan "normaal" afgeneem, die res is swart en wit.  Die kamera(tjie) is 'n Canon IXUS 115 HS wat ek onlangs aangeskaf het omdat my ander kamera te groot is om gemaklik in een van my bike baadjie se sakke te pas, en ek's nie lus om elke keer af te klim en in die tailbag te krap nie, dus het ek na iets kleins en goedkoops gesoek. 

Hierdie outjie is maar 90x55x20mm groot, dis 'n raps meer as twee boksies vuurhoutjies, en hy't 'n lekker "gladde" afwerking - geen punte of skakelaartjies wat uitstaan en kan vashaak/afbreek nie.  Hy't nogal 12 MP, 4x optiese zoom en neem HD movie clips, en het ook 'n redelike verskeidenheid van die verstellings om sekere effekte te gee, o.a. die swart-wit met 'n kleur, ens.  Hy was op 'n promosie by Incredible Connection vir slegs R899, en sover kan ek hom regtig aanbeveel.

Very nice indeed. Love that feeling when it dawns on you that there is some "me" time for a ride! :thumleft:

Lekke lekke die man se "virgin" RR en ek sien uit na baie meer.
Jy het n slag met n kamera Jan. :deal: :thumleft:

Dankie Chris, ja ons glo daar gaan nog vele wees!
:thumleft:

Ian - please find below a quick "home made" map, hope it gives you an indication of where I've ridden.

Attachments

• 3DamRoute.JPG
    3DamRoute.JPG
    49.1 KB
Thanks for the map, that is very much what I was looking for. Can't wait to get down to this area again (and the cederbergs!) I see you have CBL Ladismith plates.  Would this be a also be a day trip from Rondebosch? Ian

Hi Ian

I suppose you're referring to Rondebosch in Cape Town?  If so, I guess anything is possible, but I'd rather stay over if I'm doing this trip from CPT.  Ladismith is about 320km from Cape Town, so come down on the Friday evening, enjoy perhaps a beverage, go do the trip lekker rustig on the Saturday and return on the Sunday.

The Cederberg is one of my favourite places as well, have done numerous trips in the past but not yet with a bike - really looking forward to something in that line.  It is however some distance away as well, both from CPT as well as Ladismith.  But the journey is the destination, hey?

Regards
Jan