Dead Bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dax021

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Funny thing happened to me yesterday, well not so funny as it left me stranded.  Went of to the shops, bike behaving perfectly with no issues.  Spent less than 5 minutes buying stuff, hopped on the bike switched on and pressed the starter.  Starter motor gave a half arsed turn and everything went dead.  Turned the key off, the display came up with the time and odo reading, as well as the rev and speedo needles gave a little flicker.  After about 10 seconds these readings disappear and everything dead again.  Tried waiting a bit and tried again, but no go, same symptoms.  Eventually I got gatvol, got a lift home (luckily only about 10K's), fetched my bakkie and trailer and went to load the bike.  I was still wearing my bike jacket and was getting hot so I took it off and threw it in the back of the bakkie.  Loaded the bike and decided that I now need a coke, so locked the bakkie and headed for the shop, suddenly  realizing my cash is in  my jacket pocket.  Head back to the bakkie only to realize that my car keys are also in the jacket pocket.  What a chop.  Took half an hour, in the now pitch blackness to find a piece of wire and jimmy the lock.  Luckily it's an old style non electric door lock.

Only had a chance to look at the bike this evening.  I suspect battery, but am getting a reading of 12.74V at rest.  Is this enough charge, or this a flat battery?  I didn't have another battery handy enough to try jumping and can't put my battery on charge till tomorrow as I'm off grid and need the sun as my solar batteries aren't that great either.

Any advice as to what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.