Delilah has charater - Railway Road to Rayton Ride Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cave Girl

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Realized the day was going to be interesting when I woke up late an needed to test the top speed of  Delilah okay got scared at 162 although I am told she can do 184. Turned off onto Nelmapius at 8.04am â?? plenty of timr to find the BP â?? I couldnâ??t figure out how to key in GPS Coordinates â?? not sure if the Nuvi does that will need to chek with the ones in the know. . . . .  having narrowly missed a cage who needed to get to the other side of the road without warning I totally missed the BP â?? 5ks up the road realized I had gone to far. Made a U turn and found the rest of the guys waiting patiently. GundaG handed out our really cool name stickers.

And we set off â?? nice slow ride with GundaG riding sweeper and me showing off my standing up skill now that Adventurer had fitted the handle bar raisers,

and then it happened â?? Delilahâ??s  front wheel went right, the back wheel went left and I went down rather surprised and very hard!!!! Left thumb area took some strain, and that was pretty much where my ride ended. Waved the guys on an limped home on tar like a wounded Dog.
Lesson learned
-  Falling off from a standing position is really not that bad.
-  Riding using one hand is doable
-  Thank Adventurer for fitting crash bars (which need attention!!!!) and hand guards which defiantly saved the plastic stuff.

Canâ??t wait for the rest of the ride report.

Damn Cave Girl :( Glad you're OK! The bike doesn't seem too bad. Those TA's crash well.

Mmmmm crash well ... that is what is so frustrating - It takes a little rest and I end up in hospital  ???

okay not to serious broken thumb whish is "mis placed" not sure what dr mrant by that as I know exactly where it is :D going in at 5 for an op on it not sure what they going to do as had to rush into work 1st to do pay roll quickly.
S

Im sorry Cave Girl, i hope u get better soon.   :-[ Unlucky .. I hope no serious damage on the bike either..

Sorry to hear about the thumb CG, we missed you on the rest of the ride. Hope you recover well and that the TA gets sorted quickly.

Hey Cave Girl,

Sorry to hear the thumb is bust - and - err- what was that nasty medical word the doc used ?

But seriously pleased you made it home - it is never lekka to see one of your fellow riders limping home on tar - even if it was not so far - brave lady !

Thanks to all who organized and rode with today, as allways you guys are a lot of fun to be with. GundaChino's under the bridge, lunch under the trees and some beers afterwards while watching Massa work his magic. (Twas a boring race). I had a seriously nice day, thanks.

A few pics from my side
Waiting next to the road just after Cave Girls off
1.jpg

First stop for a drink and some banter - My pride and joy
2.jpg

Stopping under a bridge
3.jpg

The famous GundaChinos being prepared - Thanks GG.
4.jpg

Wild dogs under a bridge
5.jpg

Wild dogs under a tree. The restuarant was full, so we hung out under a tree and they brought us some tables and served us right there. I'd recommend the place if I could remember its name.
6.jpg

That's it from my side. Thanks again to all.

Nice one guys, pity I had to leave early it was turning out to be great day.

sorry about the hand CG, hope it doesn't set you back too much.

now I am really bummed - I missed a really cool ride  :mad: :mad: got to hospital all syked for the op and bone Dr decided it was not necessary - so they just pulled it back into joint - yes at was me you heard screaming!!!!!! :eek7: so now its just in a cast - need to figure out how to pull in the clutch with string gripped firmly between teeth  :mwink:
Thanks to all 4 your concern  :)

Cave Girl said:
now I am really bummed - I missed a really cool ride  :mad: :mad: got to hospital all syked for the op and bone Dr decided it was not necessary - so they just pulled it back into joint - yes at was me you heard screaming!!!!!! :eek7: so now its just in a cast - need to figure out how to pull in the clutch with string gripped firmly between teeth  :mwink:
Thanks to all 4 your concern  :)
Hell' S " that sucks ??? Sorry to hear of your misfortune :( Had a couple of those hand one's in my life. Just pulled the misplaced parts back again. My Doc always said. Its better to go for physio on your hand than a operation.

Sterkte.

Need help ??? Let us know ;)

I suppose if I started the Fred, I have to fire up a ride report, although in my mind this ride was none of my doing. I just said I had a day free, and Zerc kindly stepped up to the plate and put together a really good route for us. Thanks Zerc.

I can't really say what happened to Cave Girl. I was only a few metres behind her and next moment there is a TransAlp on its side. We had had come to a small fork in the road and I was checking the GPS to see which way to go and we were both going at not much faster than walking speed â?? possibly part of the problem. What I can't understand is that she laid the bike down to the right, but hurt her left thumb â?? Mysteriaas I tell you.

After we assessed the damage and got the bike and GC up I had a bit of a look at the spot. What I noticed was the road had a bit of a camber and there was a distinct crust over a gravelly layer. I suspect she hit a fist-size rock that got the front wheel a bit sideways, the crust sheared on the gravelly layer, and down went the bike.

I must admit I am looking forward to the first rains of summer. I am certainly not fond of the mud-monster but there were quite a few places with that crumbly crust that can be a bit tricky at sweeper-speed.

But back to the ride, and thanks to Zerc for planning it. The route had bits that were slightly more technical than we have been riding recently, and that is good, but still nothing very scary. What I enjoyed was the variety of that always kept us on our toes.

I was only expecting three or four bikes in Irene, but lets see if I can remember who was there.

Big Beemers;  Zerc,  Frog, Jovan
Medium Beemer; igmacd (650GS funduro)
Plastic Beemer XChallenge; Renier
Kawas Gunda & AdventureMX (kle) CJB (klr08) LeonDude (Klr)
Yammie Yefimovich (xt600)
Honda;  Cave Girl (TA700)
Katoom Attie (640)    

Whoâ??d I forget or get wrong?  Not a bad turnout for a ride planned on a Thursday  !

Itâ??s amazing to me that you can ride just a few Kms out of Irene, and you are in wide open spaces that feel like the middle of nowhere.  What also excited me were the number side roads, and I see a few exploratory rides out that way in my future.  Great to see our tax money being spent on rail and power infrastructure, and the rideable service roads to support it.  ;D

The final stop on the grass under the tree was also great â?? Place was called Lemon Tree and is at :-  S25 40.205 E28 30.991 I really liked the owner lady and waitress â?? No problem they had no space for us, made a plan, under the tree on the grass and drinks and a great burger served with a cheerful smile.

A great day again â?? thanks guys.

A couple of pics and GPS track to follow.

Cavegirl, good to hear that an operation is not neccessary. Hope to see you riding again soon.

A few photos I took -

12 wilddogs at the start - looks like you didn't miss anybody on your list, GundaGunda
img0293rr2.jpg

igmacd crossing the railway line
img0312wv7.jpg

GundaGunda just had to pose :)
img0317cl0.jpg

A quick smoke break
img0319vr6.jpg

It's always nice to see Wilddogs where they belong - out on the dirt
img0324og0.jpg

Me and my pride and joy. I love my bike, in a non-sexual way off course ;)
img0299oo8.jpg

Had a nice ride today (aprt from CaveGirl's unfortunate off), met some new Wilddogs, drank some GundaChino, it couldn't be much better.

Thanks for organising a great  ride Zirc and Gunda just a pitty about Cavegirls little mishap. I hope the new guys enjoyed their first ride with the dogs.

CJB