Di's journey ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Di

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Lesson 1 ... I'm so excited! I've booked my first lesson with Malcom of Biker Bravado in Randburg ... My man rides but I don't want him to teach me yet as I don't want this to end in tears ... Don't get me wrong - I adore my man Alan, but I'm a Saggi and things could turn ugly ....

I'm terrified!!! What if I can't get this right? I've got so many emotions gushing out all at once ... Fear, excitement, tummy churning nausea, determination ...

I asked Alan to take me to my lesson on his bike cos the minute the engine starts up I relax, slow my breathing, and feel at ease ... All's gonna be ok ...

Lesson 1 is an hour long and Malcolm gets me feeling comfortable sitting on the bike while he explains the basics ... This is the clutch, this is the foot brake, this is the hand brake ... It's a 200cc and I feel like I can hold it up without any difficulty when stationary ... Some may say I'm being a real girl, but let me tell you a little bit about myself ... I'm 165cm (5ft5 ;)) ... I'm turning 50 next month ... I'm a granny! (Should granny's even be doing this?!)

I'm so excited! This is the first time I've ever even sat on a bike on my own ... I should have done this years ago!!! I can't wait to go back to Alan to tell him what I've done ... I LOVE this ...

Malcolm explains a task to me and gets me to follow through on the bike ... I'm gonna do this!! I so badly want to do this ...

All too soon it's all over and I've got to wait a whole week for my next lesson ... See you next week!

Enjoy  :ricky: :ricky:
You only live ones...
And  every WD out there will help...
Even if you get stuck in the mud
:ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Attachments

• 14130894357397.jpg
    14130894357397.jpg
    139.8 KB
Thanks !! I've learnt so much from you guys already ... I think that's why the bug has bitten so hard!

Hi Di,
with your bike and the WD forum,you are embarking on an awesome new adventure.....enjoy it and be save!  :ricky:

TWE-TWE said:
Hi Di,
with your bike and the WD forum,you are embarking on an awesome new adventure.....enjoy it and be save!  :ricky:

Hi Di, jy gaan jou trip en Wd forum avonture baie geniet. :thumleft:

Veilig ry en GENIET :ricky:

Fantastic Di !!    Keep us informed of your progress  :thumleft:

Thanks for all the encouragement guys - what an amazing group :) so happy to be a part of your forum!

You go girl!  :thumleft:

I got my licence at the age of 46, but turned out to be a lousy rider.  I am doing the pillion thing. 

On the other hand, you get people like TWE-TWE who only very recently started to ride and already did a more than 1000 km trip to the bash. 

You must at least give it a good try.

O, and the granny thing - this is the nice part of getting "older" in years.  You are your own "boss" again and can do all this nice things in life.  We had a granny doing the Baviaans with us recently. 

Mev Vis Arend said:
You go girl!   :thumleft:

I got my licence at the age of 46, but turned out to be a lousy rider.  I am doing the pillion thing. 

On the other hand, you get people like TWE-TWE who only very recently started to ride and already did a more than 1000 km trip to the bash. 

O, and the granny thing - this is the nice part of getting "older" in years.  You are your own "boss" again and can do all this nice things in life.  We had a granny doing the Baviaans with us recently.   

Fixed. You don't get other people like TWE-TWE  :eek7:  I hope not. Don't think we'll survive it  :lol8:

Well done Di and welcome to a different dimension. Consider all the advice you get, but do what is right for you  :thumleft:

And pictures... we love lots of pictures.

jupiter said:
Mev Vis Arend said:
You go girl!   :thumleft:

Fixed. You don't get other people like TWE-TWE  :eek7:  I hope not. Don't think we'll survive it  :lol8:

Well done Di and welcome to a different dimension. Consider all the advice you get, but do what is right for you  :thumleft:

And pictures... we love lots of pictures.

Dankie Oom Jupiter !! Jou woorde beur my op ..ek hoef nie soos die norm op te tree ,om aanvaarbaar te wees nie....die lewe moes n avontuur wees!! :ricky:

Well done Di.  My wife only started to ride her own bike at 65 and got the licence thing at 66. You have entered a new dimension in life, go and give it carrots.

One more sleep til my next lesson ...

Lesson 2 ...

I can't wait for my lesson! I'm so excited to find out more ... When I get there, Malcolm gets me to sit on the bike and go through what we learned last week ... SAFETY FIRST!

He teaches me how the bike will follow my head and how to turn (with the bike still off and me providing the leg power)

Then he tells me to start the bike ... what!? That caught me by surprise ... It takes quite a few tries to get the hang of getting her going - I'm too tentative until Malcolm tells me I can't break his bike :)

He teaches me the control of the clutch and easing in the power and then I'm on my way ... she's moving and I'm not falling over !!! I get to the end of the "road" use the brakes to slow down, pull in the clutch and stop ... and then promptly burst into tears at the sheer exhilaration and excitement ... I DID IT!!!!

I don't want to stop ... I'm hooked!! but have to wait a WHOLE week to ride again ...

Well done, Di.  One of these days you are going to be a pro - like so many other ladies (ok, and men)  :biggrin:.

Another lesson under the belt ... I've now learnt how to turn left after stopping (and right) ... I've also leart how to change from first into second ... And I've learnt how to corner .... I love this! I'm off to buy a bike!

I've decided to go small and get a Yamaha YBR250 ... I went to fetch my new little bike - Alan looks like an adult riding a child's bike but it'll work for me 😀

I've got my tax exam on Thursday and then I can focus on spending time only new adventure .... Can't wait!!!

Sorry guys, been away for a while ... I bought my first bike!!! It's a Yamaha CBR250  ... I've been riding up a storm ... I think I'm the only granny who got their new bike and multifocals in the same week 😳 must admit I'm already planning my learners and then new bike ...

Keep you posted ...