DIY Wheel balancing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
We change tyres frequently from knobbies to semi road tyres, also commuting, fitting new tyres often. Most, tyre places don't know how to properly balance tyres and they don't really take care doing it correctly.

This is a crude wheel balancer using 4 wheel bearings and the rear axle. The weights I picked up from a tyre place in town, they gave me old ones form wheels that had been balanced, I cleaned them with spirits and new double sided tape.

It is vital that the wheel spin as freely as possible, worn wheel bearings would not help, make sure the bearings on the wheel hub is still in good nick. Roller skate bearings works just as good.

DSCN1922.jpg

Remove the old weights before you start, spin the wheel lightly, maybe get it to spin just 2 or 3 revolutions, leave it until it stops and the heaviest part end up at the bottom.

Mark the bottom and top (opposites)with a pencil.

DSCN1927.jpg

Yes I know it's difficult to see the pencil marks

DSCN1928.jpg

On the top part of the rim clean the rim and attach a weight with masking tape, again spin the wheel, adding weights, keep on adding weights until the tyre comes to rest on a different place than the place you marked.
If the wheel stop at 3 different places after you spun it, it's balanced.

Clean the place where you will stick the weights and voila you're finished.

DSCN1931.jpg

DSCN1929.jpg