Draf-staf op n solo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oubaasbaard

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
This ride report must be read with this one: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=61884.0 here is my short solo RR from the 15th - 17th Dec. Pretoria to Stellenbosch

The plan was to do a solo trip from Pretoria to Bloem, Bloem to Steytlerville, Steytlerville to Herold's bay and  to have a nice holiday at Stellenbosch. But first meet up with Will and Rokie, to do Baviaans. I had little time and a long way with a couple of long stretches, see map below.

Presentation1.jpg

Day 1 (15th Dec 2010) - 443km

It was raining... I left Pretoria at around 12:30 on the 15th with the aim of reaching Bloemfontein (Maselspoort) before dark. Oh and did I mention it was raining. I rode 70% of the way in the rain.    

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

A quick stop on the highway to Bloem, still raining.

Being a novice to adventure biking I also thought that a normal jacket will be OK in these weather conditions, I was wet right through when I reached Maselspoort, soos Will sal se: "daar was damme in by boots" I have a leather Jacket and it is OK for a couple of drops of rain but not good for going through a rain storm. As soon as leather becomes wet it bomes heavy as well that night I tried to dry-out my jacket again but with no real success.  The next day I bought myself a rain suite  in Bloem (I am the gifappeltjie in the Baviaanskloof photos above) that thing works like a bomb!  ;)

IMG_0225.jpg

Luckily the room had a heater and I quickly set up a washing line...

Day 2 Steytlerville - 650km

The next morning I left for Steytlerville, I checked the weather before leaving and decided to go with the N1 to Colesberg then Middelburg, Jansenville to Steylerville, I figured this way would have the least amount of rain and indeed it was the case.

I had a side wind all the way and at 130km/h it is tiring, the bike felt a bit shaky. I wondered if it was not the Mitas E-07 I fitted just before I left and I still recon that the tyre pressure is an issue. I still do not know what the right pressure should be on the XT660R (Loaded). I ran them on 2.3 front and 2.5 rear and I must say that sometimes I wished I did not fit them and stayed with the K60's. There's a lot to be said about the Mitas though, when I left the garage after fitting them I immediately felt a huge difference in handling (not necessarily bad) it was almost as if the bike "leaned in" on the corners and as if you can push it a bit more although it felt loose on the road at higher speeds. This been said I would say that if it weren't for the Mitas off road, with one particular section between Steytlerville and Patensie in mind I would have probably never got to Baviaans in time.

When i got to Jansensville I was recommended to not take the gravel road shortcut to Steytlerville due to the mud... I thought to myself what can be so bad? so took the gravel road (R339). I started as all gravel roads does, nice and smooth but then I hit the mud about 20km in. You all know mud there is no technique for making it better you just slip-slide away, luckily no incidents but a lot of "ooh sh!t" moments.

IMG_0230.jpg

Note how clean my bike is....

IMG_0239.png

That night I camped at Noorshoek guest farm  

Day 3 Patensie, Baviaan, Heroldsbay. (550km)

I was pleasantly surprised with Steylerville (sorry I do not have more pictures), it has these typical small "spoorweg huisies" and I think there is still a lot of potential for tourism. This part of the country is so beautiful and it is DS haven with all of the dirt roads.          

IMG_0241.jpg

I have seen this photo on the forum before, this is just a you enter Steytlerville, the history of South Africa is displayed in flags on some sort of a time line, it is quite cool.

I left for Patense at 6:30am via Grootrivierspoort, this is an awesome ride and I would highly recommend it. This was very technical.

IMG_0243.jpg

The road to Grootrivierspoort.

IMG_0252.jpg

some nice scenery

IMG_0255.jpg

The water crossing (Grootrivierspoort)

IMG_0261.jpg

This is where I got stuck in the stickiest mud I have ever came across. It clogged the front fender (the one right on the wheel) It was as if the front brake was locked and with a heavily loaded bike this was some story. The traction on the rear was real good  if only I could get the front wheel to turn. With the Mitas being such a bulky tire I think it helps a lot with spreading the load. I still recon that if it weren't for the Mitas I would not have come out without any help.

I removed the fender and steered the bike to the left on the more rocky part of the road, the problem is that one can not simple leave the fender of for the rest of the trip since it prevents the mud and sand form clogging the radiator.

IMG_0400.jpg

See the fender on the wheel, a lot of bikes I know has this sort of fender to protect the radiator. Just as illustration.

It might mot look like I am stuck but trust me I was stuck. Sorry again for not taking more pictures of this mess but I was really frustrated at that time and I am not shy to say the little hill broke me for the rest of the day. I met Will and Rokie in Patensie at around 10:30am (4 hours on 95km) then we had some fun in Baviaans. Thanks Will and Rokie this was surely the Highlight of my trip.

Day 4 (played golf at George country club)

Day 5 ( Herold's bay to Stellenbosch)

IMG_0286.jpg

Spot the location....

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

This trip was so nice and I was yet again reminded of why I love biking so much!

Happy Holidays!

You are a brave man for tackling the N1 in the rain. I'm surprised to hear that the mitas has grip in the mud, I would have thought otherwise. Nice pictures and interesting trip.

very lekker I also have a mitas e07 on the back and am glad that you have tested it in the mud :thumleft:

dis n lekker trip, malgas is nogal iets om te beleef, het dit ook gister daai roete gedoen met my bike, sal nog n report skryf :thumleft: :thumleft:

Jis hier kom 'n ding. Jy het goeie manne gekies om die trip mee te doen. Waar Rokie is, is 'n vuurtjie en Will, nou ja wat kan ek sê. Goeie manne albei van hulle.  Gooi daai fodies.

Subscribed