Drama at Maraisburg! Spring day ride.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EATMYKTM.

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Yesterday morning 7 riders set off into Maraisburg on our Adventure bikes for my RAD Adventure Spring day splash and what started out as an awesome morning of powdery sand and awesome single track trail turned a bit nasty for our good friend and client Yves Grofils, when he tweaked his foot so badly his lower leg bone sheered right through, ending his ride right there.
Long story short, he was dicking around, spinning the back wheel on the flat plain below the main dune, and it bit him. Not saying that better boots would have prevented this entirely, but he was wearing Adventure style boots that don't offer the best protection and support for riding big bikes.
He did get a flight to Milpark hospital in a nice yellow and white helicopter though  :laughing4: He's in good spirits, having a plate put in today and will be able to leave tomorrow on crutches.
Thank goodness for his medical aid being in good shape, our RAD Adventure helmet stickers having all the emergency details and great paramedics sorting him out wonderfully!

Attachments

• Roodepoort-20130901-00188.jpg
    Roodepoort-20130901-00188.jpg
    77.8 KB
  • Roodepoort-20130901-00194.jpg
    Roodepoort-20130901-00194.jpg
    91.8 KB
  • Roodepoort-20130901-00196.jpg
    Roodepoort-20130901-00196.jpg
    39.1 KB
  • Roodepoort-20130901-00200.jpg
    Roodepoort-20130901-00200.jpg
    85.9 KB
Here's a picture of the break!

Attachments

• Johannesburg-20130902-00204.jpg
    Johannesburg-20130902-00204.jpg
    52 KB
  • Johannesburg-20130902-00203.jpg
    Johannesburg-20130902-00203.jpg
    59.1 KB
:eek7: That's an impressive response from a 1st aid perspective. I've sometimes wondered how they would respond to an injury at an inaccessible location like that.

Respect to the medics and heal up quick Mr Grofils!

Sommer TWO female medics..

Methinks he broke the leg on purpose..
:biggrin:

Eish,

Maraisburg. Thats the second major injury there in under a month.

Think I'll stay clear there for a while

Herminator said:
Eish,

Maraisburg. Thats the second major injury there in under a month.

Think I'll stay clear there for a while

It's a playground for grown-ups; there'll always be a few grazed knees.

with two female medics like that I`ll break a leg once a month  :imaposer: :imaposer: kidding..... hope he has a full recovery and that he will be up and riding within no time.....Damm I have always wanted to fly in a yellow chopper..

Eish, not good to hear!  You must send him my regards, tell him he needs a proper bike again..

Oi, yves is not having good luck on that new bike of his. Please,send him a hug from me.

OMG! Get well soon  ;D

Didn't we meet your group at the BP N1S yesterday morning? I was on the R1150R - Glad we didn't go with you  :biggrin:

gswannabee said:
OMG! Get well soon  ;D

Didn't we meet your group at the BP N1S yesterday morning? I was on the R1150R - Glad we didn't go with you  :biggrin:

Is This Charlene?
Yeah that was us! We had such a jol and were all riding really well until this happened.
Laurika and Johan, he was on his 990 when this happened. I think his foot got trapped between the ground when his toe hit and the rear foot peg hanger. just twisted it back and to the side. Happened to me once on a tree stump and made my eyes water. I now remove them before I ride Technical offroad!

EATMYKTM. said:
gswannabee said:
OMG! Get well soon  ;D

Is This Charlene?
Yeah that was us! We had such a jol and were all riding really well until this happened.
Laurika and Johan, he was on his 990 when this happened. I think his foot got trapped between the ground when his toe hit and the rear foot peg hanger. just twisted it back and to the side. Happened to me once on a tree stump and made my eyes water. I now remove them before I ride Technical offroad!

Not a bad idea to remove the hanger although i had a friend that got his leg reeled in by the spinning rear wheel.  One of the worst sights ever but guess that will be biking, some days your luck holds up and some days it just sucks.

Yves sorry to hear your misfortune.You were just starting to get to know your 1190?Best wishes and speedy recovery.(Maybe just as well I could not make the ride)
Bruce
:)

i hate seeing a ride report end with photo,s of this nature      get well soon china