DRZ400SM can go anywhere

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vilaishima

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
So this is not that much of a ride report as we did not really take enough photos - I'll try and do better next time.

A friend of mine who rides a KTM 525 asked if I wanted to join hom for a ride on Saturday morning bright and early. I was slightly wary as I currently have a set of proper road tyres on my sumoto and we had plenty of rain in Gauteng last week with not enough sun to dry it properly. I have a couple of photos but it comes down to the fact the you can really go anywhere you want with your bike, not matter what it is (or what tyres its using  ;) ) Obviously the fact that the DRZ has proper suspension did help quite a bit.

I was amazed at how many short little routes there are between houses, plots etc in Morelettapark, Zwavelpoort, etc. Most of those photos were taken no further than 5 minutes ride from Lynwood road in Pretoria.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.1 KB
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    107.2 KB
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70 KB
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    142.8 KB
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    96.2 KB
I had a hell of a lot of fun. In the end my front tyre got too packed up with dirt in a very long scary section of mud and the mudmonster claimed me as a victim. Unfortunately my riding buddy missed the event and got no pics of the mud section or me lying in it  ;D
The handguard saved my hand from a sure amount of pain.

Attachments

• mud1.jpg
    mud1.jpg
    122.9 KB
  • mud2.jpg
    mud2.jpg
    84.4 KB
  • mud3.jpg
    mud3.jpg
    148.6 KB
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    141.4 KB
edgy said:
Knobblies boet,you need knobblies!

I know, I know. The motard setup is just intense fun on the tar - really awesome amounts of grip. I thought of getting a set of offroad rims and tyres but I'm thinking I might get another Z but the E model for my offroad adventures. On gravel and hard packed surfaces the road tyres can hold their own quite impressively. My other option is for the time being to fit a Heidenau on the front and leave the Pilot Road 2 at the rear. If the Heidi's grip is good on tar that should make for an interesting combination.

i agree,
check out gumtree for some offroad wheels. You will have a blast!

If you go with a set of offroad rims / tyres you can put a 44 or even 48 sprocket on it. I think the SM uses 38 or 39 tooth ?

sidetrack said:
If you go with a set of offroad rims / tyres you can put a 44 or even 48 sprocket on it. I think the SM uses 38 or 39 tooth ?

Stock is 15/41 on the SM

I used to have a DRZ 400 SM. I used to take her everywhere, sand, mud, water, whatever was offered. I sold her for a KTM 640 Adventure. I still miss the zippiness and maneuverability in traffic. Nice and light as well.

Lekker ride!
Join Blazes when he takes people out for one of his rides in that area, he knows every back road there is!
:thumleft:

Wow this Suz is the ultimate traffic tool, and it really look the part! Nice one!