Easter Karoo-ing!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firecoast

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
soooooooooo, after 5 or so hours flight delay, panne finally arrived in cape town on the friday....  :biggrin:

went for a few drinks and kakpraat at pure orange's place and then off to bed for an early start....

not so early after all hahahahaha... left cape town late morning, on a beautiful (and sunny) saturday morning...

stopped for a smoke on du toitskloof pass....

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    186.9 KB
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    135.2 KB
got hungry along the way and decided to stop in touwsriver for something to eat....

had a look at loganda hotel and thought 'hey, how bad can it be!!!'...

when we walked in and had a look at the locals and when i went to the loo and the barlady handed me the loo paper.... well..... it was an interesting experience.... the very loud r&b music and erm.... chesty local... i think if i wasn't there, panne might have been propositioned whahahaha

needless to say, we didn't eat there and stopped off in laingsburg for coffee and a bite to eat.

Attachments

• 4.1.jpg
    4.1.jpg
    98.4 KB
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    169.8 KB
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    166.9 KB
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    50.1 KB
almost in prince albert!!!!! yay!!!

saw a really pretty and huge rainbow, but the photo doesn't do it justice...

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    156.6 KB
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    107.8 KB
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    182.5 KB
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    145.7 KB
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    121.7 KB
sunday we headed out to the hell...

arch-'pushy'-angel and mellowjo decided to join us for the ride, seeing as they were in the area...

at the entrance to gamkaskloof i told the boys to go ahead, as i was taking my time.... a looooooooong time!!!!!

archangel and mellowjo were coming out of the hell when we were almost at the kiosk .....  :biggrin:

Attachments

• 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    151.5 KB
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    154.1 KB
  • 17.1.jpg
    17.1.jpg
    165.8 KB
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    168.9 KB
FARK! just lost everything i was typing!

going to hang the washing.... will be back...

after sleeping in on monday morning, we had a lazy and mighty yummy breakfast in prince albert and headed over the pass....

Attachments

• 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    172.7 KB
  • 23.JPG
    23.JPG
    187.1 KB
  • 24.1.jpg
    24.1.jpg
    124.6 KB
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    148.4 KB
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    163.4 KB
at 'die top' i was checking out everyone's avatar stickers (mine included) and commented to panne.... sheesh all these stickers (of course in a joking manner)... when a woman piped up and said ja it's so disgusting... then her husband moaned... ja, it's to say asshole was here..... whoops!!!!!  :-[

off we went down the other side towards calitzdorp via matjiesrivier / groenfontein... 

Attachments

• 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    161.5 KB
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    160.5 KB
  • 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    172.4 KB
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    164.4 KB
i must say.... i thoroughly enjoyed the matjiesrivier / groenfontein road....

came across an oasis in the middle of nowhere, serving fantastic coffee and delicious chocolate cake...

headed through calitzdorp and back on the black stuff  :'(

Attachments

• 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    159.8 KB
  • 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    160.5 KB
  • 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    155 KB
  • 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    166.5 KB
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    141 KB
warmwaterberg we only had the option of the caravan.... it has seen better day, but it was a lot better than tenting it!!!

Attachments

• 37.JPG
    37.JPG
    159.4 KB
tuesday morning we were greeted with dark clouds and wind.... got a call from my dad saying it was pissing down in hermanus.... seeing as that was our destination for the night... via malgas pont.... we decided to head back to cape town... neither one of us packed in rain gear....

coffee, breakfast, ronnie's....

black bags had to make do for rain protection...

Attachments

• 40.JPG
    40.JPG
    140.9 KB
  • 42.JPG
    42.JPG
    165.7 KB
  • 41.JPG
    41.JPG
    138.7 KB
  • 39.JPG
    39.JPG
    113.9 KB
  • 38.JPG
    38.JPG
    142.5 KB
stopped off at karoo saloon for a sticker and some much needed coffee.... only to discover it's closed....

and the rain had started....

Attachments

• 43.JPG
    43.JPG
    146.8 KB
and then it rained some more....

found a wine cellar halfway to montagu...

Attachments

• 44.JPG
    44.JPG
    87.7 KB
  • 46.JPG
    46.JPG
    145.2 KB
when the skies cleared, we motored to montagu to find something warm to drink...

Attachments

• 47.JPG
    47.JPG
    157.6 KB
  • 51.JPG
    51.JPG
    177.5 KB
the wind was starting to pick up and my neck and front bits were getting a tad cold, so i pulled into the pep in ashton and bought a scarf! best 30 bucks spent!!!!

Attachments

• 52.JPG
    52.JPG
    162.1 KB
from robertson to worcester i had some serious thinking going on..... the wind was coming in from the side and there were plenty of side-swipes... good thing we didn't have coms system, as panne would've heard some choice words....

i really started not liking being on the bike and my will to ride was being tested, with big tears welling up!!!!!

luckily we had no rain from montagu onwards...

stopped briefly in worcester, where we came upon louwtjie sorting out his bakkie and then through the pass and hung out at du toitskloof inn for a good couple of hours.... if i had my way we would've spent the night there.... i just didn't want to go on in such horrible weather....

but i had myself a good talking to....

we opted for the tunnel and all i could hear was mr ktm testing the tunnel's soundproofing..... rev rev rev!!!!!

made it home in one piece and will shortly be going out to buy a rainsuit!!!

Attachments

• 53.JPG
    53.JPG
    155.9 KB
Firecoast said:
FARK! just lost everything i was typing!

going to hang the washing.... will be back...

:imaposer:

I just hate it when it happens.

Very nice so far. :thumleft:

Very nice!
I've also done some emergency buying at Pep Stores for warm stuff in the past. Ended up kitted out in the colours of the local High School.

biking is a lot like golf. you will have your bad days but you will have that one awesome ride and you will keep riding for that next awesome ride! lekker RR. thanks for sharing. nice pics.