El cheapo Airhawk solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lootch67

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Before I continue it has to be said that I have been accused of putting the "Poor" in Pooratech. Just refer to my solution to the problem with the gear lever and shaft....

Anyway, we've just came back from a 3,000km trip through Europe. I did it on my AT which is not exactly renowned for it's comfortable seat. So I had to come up with a solution, but since money is really tight at the moment my funds did not extend to buying a proper airhawk seat. So I went for one of the self-inflating seats, similar to the camping mattresses. This one came with a belt thingy which I was able to loop underneath the seat and sub-frame to keep it in place. It did still move around but I couldn't route it directly under the seat as the strap was too long. Will look at ways to shorten the strap.

Here's a pic of the seat - it cost £15 on eBay. I did turn it the other way round to stop the valve digging into my thigh.

P8100001-1.jpg

And here it is fitted to the bike.

P1060609.jpg

I've not spent a lot of time on an airhawk but I do know that I wasn't complaining more about my backside than the guys with the airhawks. Our longest day was 741km and at the end of the day my bum felt numb, but not bruised which is the bit that really ruins your trip as your backside still hurts very soon after you get on the bike the following day. The main problem was that it did move around a bit especially once you start moving around on the bike in the Alpine bends, but that can be fixed. Also, as with the airhawk seats, it does raise the height of the seat. For me, being 2.02m it's not a problem. The really nice thing about it is that you can inflate it quite a lot and then sit on it with your thighs which means your backside really gets a break as it's virtually up in the air. It is also waterproof. Honestly, I would not have had any fun on the bike if I did not have this fitted.