First 2200km with Transalp XL700V

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Rode to Merweville along the N1 and back to Bellville using the same route. I preferred the tarmac, since this was my first ride on a dual purpose bike! Wanted to get used to the ride. Had a Honda VFR 800 Sport Tourer (32000 KM), which is an amazing machine and quite THE OPPOSITE to the TA.
There was a 13 km stretch of dirt road before Merweville (also a first for me), which I hit at approximately 3-8 km/h but as I went along, the usual riding skills took over to the extent that when I hit the tarmac again, I was doing about 90 km/h! Though some of the "old dogs" might not consider this an enormous achievement, allow me to express my delight that I actually stayed on two wheels! The way back was even better. (not much though!)
My next trip, after the 1000 km service, was to the Springbok Rally in Oudtshoorn! (I am a member of the Nomad Motorcycle Club, who presents the Springbok Rally). Tarmac again! Had the wife with me. She rides a Suzuki GSR600. Had to do the hubby thing and stay with the lady!
Saw a lot of guys with dual purpose bikes at the rally, who I suspected were Wild Dog forum members, which were later confirmed by the posts from some of them on this forum. Thanks to those who attended!
Rode back to Bellville (tarmac again! - same reason).
Although the riding experience on the TA is different to that of my previous bike, it was an eye - opener! I certainly enjoyed it tremendously, (especially the 26 km of dirt road). On the tarmac it was a nice and enjoyable ride. 
My real test is going to come when I attend the upcoming Wild Dog Bash next week. I am riding with a bunch of Wild Dogs and are told by them that the planned route will include 400 km+ dirt road. I look forward to it!
Cheers!

Goodluck with 400kms next weekend.
Two pieces of advice if I may.
Blow down your tyres on the dirt.
If you feel the others rideing away from you on dirt keep the speed you feel in control and comfortable with.
DO NOT TRY AND CATCH UP WITH THEM :deal:(they will stop for a smoke and a pee later)

See you at the bash :deal: :thumleft:

Leka....but are you sure you want to do this?  >:D
I see an eye opener coming... :thumleft:

Ride safe and & listen to Chris when he says don't chase!  :)

Chris gave me advise at Boegoesberg bash when he found me doing my second lap around the dam looking for the entrance about letting tyres down and wow what a difference it makes. :thumleft: