First decent ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJred

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Today I took my 990 for a decent run, 447 km, to Frankfort and back with some dirt roads in between.
This is my first DS bike as my riding experiance comes mostly from plastic bikes. To say the least i was very impressed espesially the way the bike handles the dirt roads.
At the moment it is mielie harvest time, so those dirt roads is in a crappy state due to the grain carts and trucks running the harvest to the silos.
The way that katoempie glides over the corrigated ruts seriously impressed me, I also crossed lanes across that horrible little sand "middelmannetjie". Doing this was not as bad as I though it would be, I twisted the throttle a little to get a tad extra power on the back wheel, and the bike literaly just pushed through and kept the line very well. The bike did wobble a little bit as the wheels went through the sand, but nothing as bad as i expected.

The only nigly thing I found was; a little jerky/sensitive throttle response as you start to twist the throttle, after this the power comes on very smoothly.
Is this sensitive throttle a common thing on the 990's ??
Also fuel consumption seems high, I used about 42 litres to cover this distance. Is this normal consumption on these 990's ??

But overall I am happy with the purchase after this first longish ride.