First weekend ride with the KLR....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeff Cowboy

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
After playing mechanic for a while i took the KLR out for its first ride. Check out my KLR restoration topic.

Luckily we had to go slow because we had a new rider with us. A lady. Her name is Jessica.
Jessica rides a rare type of bike. I've never seen one. Its a Honda VTR250 and just like its bigger brothers it makes a nice sound. It actually a really nice looking bike. Almost looks like a little naked SV.

We started our ride at the Summerstrand Total garage in PE. From there we rode to my friend "PE660's" house because i had to drop of my Tech book at his house so he can copy my homework.
On our way there we rode past the bikini bike wash. I almost lost control of the bike. Ladies in red bikinis.

We rode to Despatch then to Uitenhage. From Uitenhage to old Cape road. Jessica got stuck behind some cars here and i had some time to ride the KLR next to the road on the cravel.

On to Maitlands and Seaview. We stopped at the Seaview Spar for some drinks and there was a Toyota Pruis parked in the parking lot. A rare site in PE. Ag well at least the driver thinks his saving the planet.

From Seaview we went on to Schoenmakers Kop and then to Cape Receive light house. The KLR is lots of fun in the sand.

From Cape Receive light house back to the Total garage. End of run.

The KLR did not fall apart. I must say once i added a Michelin Anakee to the back its going to be lots of fun in the tight twisties.

3 Musketeers

Captain Slow, Generaal, Jessica.

I'm not in the pic somebody has to hold the camera. :D

bikepics-825007-full.jpg

Captain Slow said:
On our way there we rode past the bikini bike wash. I almost lost control of the bike. Ladies in red bikinis.

I'll say it first:
:useless:

Well done on your first trip. The KLR looks nice. Good job. :thumbleft:

Now go back to the bikini bike wash and get us some pics!! :D :D

Kaboef said:
Captain Slow said:

I'll say it first:
:useless:

Well done on your first trip. The KLR looks nice. Good job. :thumbleft:

Now go back to the bikini bike wash and get us some pics!! :D :D

:sign3:

You have to get your priorities in order CS. Really. :roll: :wink: :D

hehe. Good man! Now you have tasted dirt, there is no turning back. 8)

I'm really falling in love with the KLR.

Will make the pics smaller next time. Sorry.

Captain Slow said:
Ja ja, i'm just registering with imageshack to upload those bikini pics. :D

You'd better NOT be kidding... :twisted: :D

Girls in bikinis. :D

https://wilddogtours.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?p=77821#77821

Great picture of Jessica.

You really captured her good side. :roll:

Does the VTR 250 not look like a smaller version of a Ducati 600 Monster?

We have thousands of them over here.
They use the same engine as the Honda 250 Spada and the Honda 250 VTR Cruiser. (Although the cruiser engine looks different, thanks to the plastic cowling they cover it up with.)

The VTR 250 is a very popular bike for new riders and commuters.
If Jessica ever has trouble getting parts...my mate imports the Spada at his shop.

Oh yeah...the KLR looks ok too. :D

Jaq, actually she is looking for some parts.

Front brake disk. The one she has is warped. Its like permanent ABS. :shock:

Is there a chance you could get me a price on a front disk or ask your friend what other Hondas use the same disk so i can get a price locally.

Looks like there is only one VTR250 in the whole of SA. :shock:

Nobody knows when i ask for parts here.

You can straighten a warped disc.

Nathan down at my local bike shop does it all the time.

He straightend the disc on our Ducati in all of five mins.

Used a measuring device and a soft brass bar, tapping away gently on bar with hammer.

You can also get disc's made/cut to order.

BUT...I can get her a new disc any when she wants.

I need...Year of bike. Model designation. (VTR 250 is all I guess?)
And a frame number will allow us to check records to make sure all VTR's take the same components.

I'll ring Steve at www.caringbahmotorcycles.com.au

tommorow and see what other Honda's use the same disc.

Thanks Jaq. I'll see what i can organise.

Mabe i should ring up this bike repair place in town tomorrow. Mabe they can straighten the disk for Jessica.

Captain Slow said:
Thanks Jaq. I'll see what i can organise.

Mabe i should ring up this bike repair place in town tomorrow. Mabe they can straighten the disk for Jessica.

See what they say.

Nathan is a genius, won the best bike mech award for NSW a couple of years ago.
He is very innovative, young guy, not afraid to try new things.

I suspect a lot of bike repairers will say a warped disc cannot be straighten and try to sell you a new one.

Let me know.

Latest posts