Fitted Oxford Hot Grips last weekend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nico

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
And just in time, it seems. Here is my preliminary report (pics will follow)

These are them:
https://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3&action=dept&id=30&pid=174&p=

Fitment:

-The old grips just pulled off. No problem there.
-Removed the seat and all the front plastics.
-Slide the left grip on, no problem. The right grip is very tight, and only goes on halfway. Will look at it later.
-Took a drive to the hardware store to buy an electrical tester. Picked up one that does acv, dcv, ohms and amps (if memory serves correctly), for just R40. Also picked up a cigarette lighter plug for R25.
-Found a plug that was unused (docs suggest this is the plug for OEM heated grips) Tested, and worked with ignition on, but somehow not enough juice to run grips, so I used the pos from the plug, with negative on the battery. Sufficient juice.
-Fitted the control onto the handlebar with supplied double sided tape and cable tie.
-They supplied superglue to plak the grips on good and proper. I only used it on the left grip, as it was a bit loose, but did not want to use it on the rhs grip, since I was kakking to get it on. I could only imagine trying to do it with superglue, and permanently fitting the grip halfway in. So, since the rhs grip has these slots that will prevent it from slipping, I decided to use hair gel to both lube the grip to get it on, and then to bond it when it dries.
-Then I just neatened up the cabling with a few dozen cable ties, and put the plastics back on.

On the bike tests:
The thermostat/control has 9 settings, from "mild" to "melt your gloves off". On the hottest setting it got pretty uncomfortable. In fact, the packaging warns against using the grips without gloves to prevent burns. :shock:

I forgot to fit the lighter plug, but will do that this weekend. I have decided to wire it in on the same place as the grips, and then to leave it in the rear cubbyhole thingy. I also have a 12v tyre compressor to go in the topbox.

Latest posts