Fitting a Kappa topbox to Dakar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisv

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi there Dawgs

I have done a search on the forum but could not find a straight answer.

I need to fit a Kappa 42l topbox to my 2003 dak.

I have the base plate but not sure how to attach it to the back of the dakar, what have the other dak owners done  ???

I have the following ideas but need some advice :

1) Should I drill 4 holes through the lid of the lockable box on the back of the bike and attach the base plate to the lid ? Will it be strong enough to hold the box ?

2) Must I make a bracket that will be attached either side of the lid of the little box and raise it slightly so I can still get into the little box to release the seat etc ?

3) Do you have any other ideas that will work better ?

I dont mind drilling holes but want the best (strongest) solution. I did see the posts from Michnus when you discussed this, Michnus did you fit a topbox and how did you do it ?

I dont mind if I can't access the little box because I know that there is a way (with some cable - chain gang) to release the seat remotely but would like to still be able to get into the little lockable compartment.

Please help me, I feel like a kid with a new toy but can't play with it and Im driving my wife insane  :'(

Thanks