Flushing out a compressor tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
I was given a compressor by my next door neighbour this weekend.

I had to fit a new drain valve, as the old one was broken. This meant that the tank hadn't been properly drained for some time. Dude didn't use the compressor for a few years apparently, and has had it for about 20...

Today I also checked it out as best I could. Not a single spot of rust on the outside. Runs perfectly. pressure switch operated correctly.

I want to flush out the tank though. Just to be sure.

I reckon I'll take out the pipe at the top, the inflow, and pour in whatever goop is recommended here. Then swish it around a bit, and then take out the drain valve and let it all run out again.

So, whatever I put in has to be quite runny. Syryp or treacle or peanut butter won't work. Has to be runny like Coke.

Also, should there be rust on the inside of the tank, I want the goop to stop any further progression of the rust. Or at least slow it down significantly.

Ok. Fire away...  :thumleft:

What should I use to flush the tank out?  Bear in mind that I am in the USA, so stuff like cleen green isn't readily available...    :deal: