Front end shimmy - advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaTooMatt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Last night on my way home noticed my front wheel had picked up a slight shimmy. Stopped checked the tyres as I though one might be low on air but nothing so rode home. Thought it might be me after a bad day at work.

This morning it is definitely there. Nothing below 50 km/h. Seems to start around 60 km/h is at its worst at around 90 km/h and then becomes an irritating buzz above this.

Taking my hands off the bar at 70 and the shimmy does grow into a potential tank-slapper. At lower speed the front wobbles but does not increase. Too scared to do this test at higher speeds.

I have checked my tyre pressures. They are both good.

I had something similar before but that was traced to the front tyre and was there for the life of the tyre. It was also only an issue at about 160 or riding no hands. This front has done about 12 000 km but still looks good and the bike was fine yesterday morning.

The bike was serviced on Tuesday but was fine on the 30 km ride home at all speeds.

I have not hit anything that I am aware of.

On the way home yesterday at the right turn onto the motorway at Corlett drive I was forced over some debris by a U turning taxi. This was before noticing the shimmy. I have not found anything stuck in my tyre.

MY next step is to have the wheel re balanced maybe I have chucked a weight. Every night I ride up a largish (300 mm) step maybe this has caused the weight to dislodge. Also I took the dirty way to the bike service on Tuesday morning. No big hits but a few rocks were hit crossing the river.

Any other advice/ideas? So far I have focused at the front of the bike as I am not feeling anything through the seat.