G/S semi-restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inprogress

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
So, some...a few of you know my little struggle with weird symptoms, but what none of you know is that in the process of finding that symptom, I stripped my pushrod adjuster bolt and nut.

So my lady is standing for the next 3 weeks whilst I wait for parts from the dealer, ordered a few misc parts as well. However I have a tote full of this:

Parts_640x480.jpg

With a R80 that looked like this:

R80naked_640x480.jpg

Which looks like this under the bike cover:

R80covered_640x480.jpg

I kept asking myself what the hell I am doing, but I kept on going. The restoration project started a bit sooner than I thought or planned. Now, tomorrow, the engine comes out so I can have the frame recoated, I am gonna get the engine back to its wonderfull new lustre, and get the other coveres nice and coated. Also a few bits a pieces here and there. Why am I doing this you may ask, well me too.

Well as much as I like...love this bike, I'm looking for a 1150 or 1200. YES YES I KNOW!!! You all want to crucify my and you may....maybe you may one day. I use my bike everyday, and I want something really comfy and I don't care how many reasons you give me (ask Espresso he has a weight to the reasons), I like the younger bikes. If I had the choice in the garage, the R80 would stand and gather dust, and THAT I am sure you will all agree is even worse that selling a G/S.

Anyway, gonna restore and pass her on to a loving home. I shall keep you posted on this thread so you can comment and banter and sit in awe. :evil

I hope to have this done in the next 3 weeks. Then it will be putting back together again until I pay for the white stuff respray. Then the seat cover. Then the new light assembly and dash (custom design that I have in mind, I'm not buying an original clock just to sell her). Having the headers also ceramic coated after plus can (want it all black, part of the look).

She will be lovingly restored up to usefull condition (not that she isn't usefull). I am not going that far as to create a showroom G/S restoration, UNLESS......someone buys the girl and asks me to go further.

First question, what is the best way to get the engine shine back? That brand new engine look. I'm talking about the aluminium bits. Bead blasting? Oven cleaner? I tried a fine wire brush on the alternator cover few months ago, but it was not the effect I was looking for, don't want brushed look, want new cast look. Any ideas?

Why did I not just stop myself from doing this. Why why why.