GAGSC 2008 ... Skills challenge ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colyn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
For three years I have been following the skills challenge and there are things that I find quite weird. I will not talk about the previous two years.

During the welcome dinner the MC made a big story about the Challenge not being a race but the facts does not support this.

On day one and two the contenders are  tested extremely to find the rider with the best skills. The format is great and the crowds enjoy it. It also really brings out the riders with the best skills.

Then the weird things happens ... no matter how well a rider performed in the skills challenge and whatever points lead he or she builds up ... the top riders are selected and the boards are cleared.

The final day everything is based on a "flat track" race.

Where are the skills now ?

This format allows a person that came last of top selection to win.

I also find it really weird that the marshalls do not have red flags with them on the track to flag a mistake then and there.

It is also strange that although the whole skills challenge gets condensed to race in the end the marshalls do not reveal the laptimes as they happen.

Sorry ... the current format is not about skills and the lack of transparency opens the door for rumours about the integrity of the results.