Garmin NAV 6 - recalculating planned route

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I've recently bought a Garmin NAV 6 with the view to plan routes in Basecamp and then follow these routes on the GPS - I'm slowly finding my way, but I'm essentially a complete novice when it comes to using a GPS and I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice.

After weeks of watching tutorials on Youtube on how to use Basecamp and also setup the Nav 6, I'm finally at a point where I can plan/plot a route in Basecamp and export it to the GPS.

Now that I'm finally on the road and following a planned route, my biggest frustration is when I go off-route and the GPS wants to recalculate.  When prompted to recalculate, I've opted for both YES and NO to try and understand how the GPS calculates a new route.  When choosing NO, the GPS simply doesn't put you back on any specific route at all and 'forgets' the planned route all together.  When choosing YES to the recalculate prompt, the GPS does recalculate a route to the end destination, but simply 'forgets' the viapoints I've plotted along the planned route - it sort of calculates its own route to the end destination which almost always is a different route to the intended planned route with my specific planned/plotted viapoints.

My question to the GPS-champions is this: when I go off a planned route (with plotted viapoints), how can I get my GPS (Garmin Nav 6) to recalculate/redirect me back onto my planned route?

Any advice will be much appreciated.