GPS Challenge Event @ WD Bash - Hogsback 10/11 November

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki Djebel 250XC
GPS Challenge Event @ WD Bash - Hogsback 10/11 November

This is a probing post to establish if there would be sufficient support from the Wild Dogs attending the Bash in Hogsback if a GPS Challenge competition is organised especially for the WD Bash attendees.  This competition would be similar to the 4x4 GPS Challenges that have been held successfully in South Africa during the past 4 years - that is competitors must navigate from given way point to way point in the shortest possible distance, using only a GPS and their "gut feeling" of where to go.  Time taken is not important as this is not a race, but a navigation skill event.

Members may recall that in January 2007 I started a thread re the possibility of me to try and have a D/S motorcycles section introduced in a 4x4 GPS Challenge event that was held in March 2007 Reference Link.  I also submitted a subsequent report Report Link.

At that time quite a few members showed a very keen interest and requests that sometime in the future I must organise the same thing for us wild dogs.  I am quite willing to go ahead and investigate the possibility - talk to contacts re sponsorships, getting media coverage, approach the GPS consultant that adjudicated the above competition for assistance, etc. 

Well, now the time has arrived and I am investigating the possibility!

Some quick background info of what has already been done to date:

• Have approached a supplier re sponsoring a GPS as 1st price - very positive feedback when I explained the bash setup.
  • Made contact with the GPS Consultant that was the chief organizer for the March 4x4 GPS Challenge.  He is very excite and keen to assist/help me in getting our own challenge competition going.  Prepare to travel to Hogsback and setup the course and act as judge.  He has the proper software, knowledge, etc.
  • I have partaken in quite a few of the 4x4 GPS competitions and have a very good idea what is involved - and are quite willing to set something up.

As with the nature of any event of this type, two basic criteria must be met; namely sufficient competitors and proper pre-planning (i.e. jacked-up organizers).  Needless to say some sponsorships will also be v. nice . 

My idea is to hold the event the Saturday morning based on a course that would take approx. 5 hours to complete.  The route will obviously include lots of dirt tracts and as much of the Hogsback region as possible.  To offset the travel/accommodation expenses of the GPS consultant I would suggest a small entrance fee of about R20.

The bottom line: Do your riding in a more enjoyable manner, using that expensive toy for what it is actually designed for.  Would it not be awesome if say 30 plus Wild Dogs go riding with an alternative purpose to be out in the nature!

So, any feedback and interest?
happy068.gif