Grabouw trails & sand surfing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growweblaar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
On Saturday the wind (and my todo list) let up a bit and I planned an impromptu ride for myself. As luck would have it I got a message from mountainboy, who happened to be visiting in the Bot River area, so we set off on a quick afternoon trail ride.

Up the Old Houw Hoek Pass, then back on the N2 to Peregrine where we took the Highlands road down to Kleinmond. MB knew of some Safcol trails in the area and we soon found the entrance to the one that goes all the way to the beacon overlooking the Protea farm and Kleinmond lagoon.

It was, let's say, "technical" - for me anyway ;). But FANTASTIC! I knew of these trails but somehow never got to ride them. The riding is great - a great workout too(!) - and the scenery fabulous.

Here we are going up Old Houw Hoek Pass - which is a (relatively easy) tweespoor, really:

2353416913_f1f612556c_o.jpg

Hitting the Safcol trail, just after turning off the Highlands road. It soon gets much more entertaining than this ;D:

2354248000_242cd7b658_o.jpg

On top of the plateau, looking out over Kleinmond lagoon and the sea in the distance:

2354248092_f60b212977_o.jpg

I only fell once (really!) - too fast, downhill, sandy corner:

2354248198_4e7d745d43_o.jpg

Although there were no witnesses, I think I remember a Mark Hardy-style headstand dismount: a fact confirmed by my stiff neck the next morning!

Parking at the beacon to have a better look over the bay:

2354248290_19c8212702_o.jpg

2353417317_b303b0e0c8_o.jpg

Looking back to Kleinmond: the road going off to the left to Arabella, the Protea farm on the right:

2353417237_58cfb3659f_o.jpg

On the way back:

2354248520_f90672fe44_o.jpg

You wanna go down there!?? After a quick inspection we decided: WHY NOT!? ;D I must admit, I did some occasional paddling:

2353417495_fa0fb9fe51_o.jpg

The road down was quite rutted. Hehehehehe :D:

2354248658_4ef313a6b6_o.jpg

We found a thin line around it but I managed to get myself stuck while crossing the last bit of the donga at the wrong angle. MB found this quite funny, since I was sitting there up to my diff in thick sand :). After some digging and stone wedging I got her out, though.

On the whole the descent was quite spectacular, since it involved lots of surfing and skiing, both sports that I enjoy!

What a great trails ride. Thanks mountainboy for the tour and company - let's do it again soon! BTW MB said he was gonna take the_wes up the same trail the next day, but from the other direction: I can't wait for the report. Hehehehehehe...

Awesome dude! i'll post that pic of you stuck in the rut soonest. wes and i had some good fun to but a quicker pace which resulted in us both falling. but a route that's really testing in some places. thanks again for the company,it was great

Don't know how I missed you guys, but I also went over the Highlands road, twice this weekend. First I tried it on Saterday with 2,5 bar inflated tyres and on Monday I did it with 2 bar tyres. What a difference ! I also took a detour on the Valley road, while in the area. I was wondering where some of the little turn-offs were going to and it seems that you guys wereon some of them.

Cool.
MB, that on the bike's mud guard looks like a Playboy Bunny ;D
One day I want to come and join you all on a ride like this.

MellowYellow said:
Don't know how I missed you guys, but I also went over the Highlands road, twice this weekend. First I tried it on Saterday with 2,5 bar inflated tyres and on Monday I did it with 2 bar tyres. What a difference ! I also took a detour on the Valley road, while in the area. I was wondering where some of the little turn-offs were going to and it seems that you guys wereon some of them.

Hey, that Valley Road turn-off was my next planned detour ;D - it goes all the way to the N2, doesn't it?

Stofstreep said:
Cool.
MB, that on the bike's mud guard looks like a Playboy Bunny ;D
One day I want to come and join you all on a ride like this.

hey, thats what I thought too -Wes says its looks like a peace sign but I said it looks more like that playboy bunny

BTW -it's the Wd paw with 2 toes which ahs since fallen off

lekker cool tho

:-[ Sorry meant "that paw on the mud guard"  :-[

Its a matter of quick thinking slow typing ;D

Lekker one ouens! Wanneer sien ons jou weer hierdie kant van die boerewors-lyn Growweblaar?

growweblaar said:
MellowYellow said:

Hey, that Valley Road turn-off was my next planned detour ;D - it goes all the way to the N2, doesn't it?

Yup it does go to the N2, which was blocked up solid on Monday, so I turned back and did it in reverse as well, double the fun !! ;D. Then chatted up some farmers on bikes about routes around the Palmiet dam, but they could not help.