Gravel â?? These are the roads with goodness in (Pillion ride added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trailrider

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
I wanted to do a quick run today and decided to ride Outeniqua Pass to Outdshoorn, Robinson Pass to Mossel bay and take the coastal road back to George. This would be an all tar route. Where I got such a bone headed idea only I would know.

Anyhow, the wind was blowing and the storm that hit Cape Town last night was moving in, so not great conditions for taking photos. :-\ The view from one of the lookout points on Outeniqua Pass with George and the ocean in the background:

P7050005.jpg

P7050010.jpg

I enjoyed the twisties in the pass and had one high speed run on a straight section, but I soon realized that riding on tar is borrrrrrrrring.

Then I saw this â?? I never could resist signs like theseâ?¦ ;D

P7050012.jpg

I was sure that this road would meet up with the Robinson Pass road somewhere, but Iâ??ve never been on it. I also didnâ??t have any maps with me, but as long as I was heading more or less in the right direction I was sure Iâ??d get there.

P7050014.jpg

I better remember this spot. After the rains this will be a nice long water crossing ;D

P7050017.jpg

These are good farm roads with nice scenery. Every so often the road would split and Iâ??d take the one that looked most interesting.

P7050019.jpg

Itâ??s nice to ride new routes. Iâ??ve never ridden these because you have to ride tar to get to them and on the 200 I avoided tar like the plague.

P7050020.jpg

P7050023.jpg

The road got smaller and smaller and I was riding on loose gravel and stones now. At this stage I was wondering if I still was on the â??roadâ? or just somewhere on someoneâ??s farm.

P7050030.jpg

P7050034.jpg

Carrying on I realized I was in a cattle camp.

P7050038.jpg

I stopped at the next house to ask if this â??roadâ? will eventually get me to Robinson Pass.

P7050044.jpg

The friendly occupants said that it would, but the road runs over a section of forestry land and the gate there is locked. Pity. It looks like a great road.

P7050043.jpg

I backtracked some and took a different road. This one had a gate, but it was not locked so I went through.

P7050048.jpg

The wind was really strong now and the first drops of rain started to fall. I needed to get to Robinson Pass because I wanted to get home before the storm started.

P7050052.jpg

Where the hell am I?

P7050054.jpg

And then, suddenly there it was, the road to Robinson Pass. This pass is not as beautiful as Outeniqua Pass, but nice none the less.

P7050061.jpg

P7050062.jpg

P7050065.jpg

Thereâ??s the ocean with Mossel Bay in the distance.

P7050068.jpg

I scrapped the idea of riding to Mossel Bay and took the gravel roads along the mountain back to George. This bike is just a pleasure to ride and it handles like a dream on the gravel.

P7050075.jpg

P7050076.jpg

Iâ??m so glad I didnâ??t spend the day on tar. These are the roads with goodness in ;) ;D

:thumleft:

The big trailies offer something that the smaller bikes don't.......Distance with comfort. I can see many out rides like this in the near future for you. ( says I looking into my crystal ball).

Enjoy

Mark Hardy said:

The big trailies offer something that the smaller bikes don't.......Distance with comfort. I can see many out rides like this in the near future for you. ( says I looking into my crystal ball).

Enjoy

Hmmm. I'll be sure to make your vision come true  :ricky:

For Kev and our other international readers - the "with goodness in" remark is from a funny ad currently on the telly in SA. ;)

Mark Hardy said:

The big trailies offer something that the smaller bikes don't.......

TR don't be tempted into the tar side of life  ;D

sidetrack said:
Mark Hardy said:

The big trailies offer something that the smaller bikes don't.......

TR don't be tempted into the tar side of life  ;D

No worries there...

I love your adventurous "look see where it goes, general direction what the heck" mode of travel. How freeing that must be!

CAPTAIN SLOW said:
Wanneer kry hy 'n GPS sodat jy vir ons tracks kan post? ::)

Nah... you must READ carefully, and then make your own track on that fancy software of yours!!

;D

Carnivore said:
CAPTAIN SLOW said:
Wanneer kry hy 'n GPS sodat jy vir ons tracks kan post? ::)

Nah... you must READ carefully, and then make your own track on that fancy software of yours!!

;D

You know i am a lazy bastid ;D

Ek dink dis die Zebrapad wat jy gevat het TR. Veral mooi daardeur as dit goed green het. Mooi fotos. Chris.

chrisl said:
Ek dink dis die Zebrapad wat jy gevat het TR. Veral mooi daardeur as dit goed green het. Mooi fotos. Chris.

Oorspronklik ja, maar waar ek op die ou ent uitgekom het het die bord gese "Mount Hope".

Trailrider was die jou roete? (Die pers roete)

Attachments

• Route guess.JPG
    Route guess.JPG
    172.6 KB
Jip dis reg. Die foto na die hek ene wat die berge en afdraand wys is n plaas regs met die naam Mazeppa. As jy weer in daai omgewing is draai links by teerpad en dan 10km later regs na Volmoed en na 10km links op die Paardebontpad. Die pad bring jou met n loop terug na die Robertsonpas teerpad.

CAPTAIN SLOW said:

Dit sou seker wees as ek op die "hoof" pad gebly het. Daar is heelwat afdraaie en ek dink ek het nader aan die berg (meer Suid) by die teerpad aangesluit. Ek sal bietjie loer op my kaarte wat meer paaie op het.

Trailrider said:
CAPTAIN SLOW said:

Dit sou seker wees as ek op die "hoof" pad gebly het. Daar is heelwat afdraaie en ek dink ek het nader aan die berg (meer Suid) by die teerpad aangesluit. Ek sal bietjie loer op my kaarte wat meer paaie op het.

Ek sien nie meer paaie op Topo V1.5 of T4A nie :(

chrisl said:
Jip dis reg. Die foto na die hek ene wat die berge en afdraand wys is n plaas regs met die naam Mazeppa. As jy weer in daai omgewing is draai links by teerpad en dan 10km later regs na Volmoed en na 10km links op die Paardebontpad. Die pad bring jou met n loop terug na die Robertsonpas teerpad.

Dit lyk of jy die area goed ken? Ek het 'n Paardebontpad afdraai gesien (seker waar hy weer aansluit by Robinson Pas) en het nogal oorweeg om daar in te ry.