Gravel â?? These are the roads with goodness in (Pillion ride added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ek dink die roete wat Captain gemerk het is reg. As jy sou regs draai by die teer en 1 km verder op linkerkant sou jy die Kandelaarsrivier afdraai kry en dit wys op Captain se kaart. Daardie pad neem jou tot naby Volmoed. Chris.

Ken die paaie goed.Het dit platgery met my MT5 . Daar is wel n pad wat ek graag wil ry en nog nie het. As jy die Paardebontpad vat kan jy met n ou pad tot in Van Wyksdorp ry. Gaan op n staduim oor die Gouritzrivier. Rede hoekom nog nie gedoen? Moerse klomp hekke en ek sukkel om my lam been elke keer oor die seat te kry. Sal dit graag met iemand wil doen. Was glo n ou ossewa roete. C

chrisl said:
As jy die Paardebontpad vat kan jy met n ou pad tot in Van Wyksdorp ry. Gaan op n staduim oor die Gouritzrivier.

Ek het daai pad al gery van die Cloetes Pas kant af.

Hier is die Kaart. Ek het ingegaan by die pyl en seker ge-eindig by daai huis in die sirkel teen bosbou.

Attachments

• Kaart.jpg
    Kaart.jpg
    246.6 KB
Of dit kan ook die pad onder hom wees. Daai een wys die pad deur bosbou.

Jys heeltemal reg met die pyl. Die Zebrapad en daai een kom bymekaar op n plaaswerf en daar het jy links gedraai. Op n staduim maak die pad n baie skerp regsdraai en daar het jy links gehou om by die sirkel uit te kom. C.

chrisl said:
Ken die paaie goed.Het dit platgery met my MT5 . Daar is wel n pad wat ek graag wil ry en nog nie het. As jy die Paardebontpad vat kan jy met n ou pad tot in Van Wyksdorp ry. Gaan op n staduim oor die Gouritzrivier. Rede hoekom nog nie gedoen? Moerse klomp hekke en ek sukkel om my lam been elke keer oor die seat te kry. Sal dit graag met iemand wil doen. Was glo n ou ossewa roete. C

Laat weet as jy weer in die area is. Ek sal daai hekke oopmaak. :thumleft:

Another day, another ride. Between all the rain and storms we would have a couple of hours without rain today (or so the weatherman said). So today Mrs. TR would go on her first proper pillion outride on the new bike. This is what we bought the bike for after all.

The plan was to take the bike over Montagu Pass, shoot down the langkloof road and take this little gravel road to De Vlugt:

Kaart.jpg

When riding over Prins Alfredâ??s Pass you usually ride from Knysna to Avontuur or vice versa, missing out on this piece of gravel. Iâ??ve ridden it once before (about 3 years ago, before I knew of forums, ride reports and the like) and I know itâ??s slippery as snot when wet. Hopefully it would be dry today.

From De Vlugt weâ??d ride over Prins Alfredtâ??s Pass and have lunch in Knysna before returning to George.

Going up Montagu Pass we ran into Sir Gravellot and a tour group at the old Toll house.

P7060007.jpg

He has a Montagu Pass historical ride (among others) that is well worth it! He is also a sponsor of the Wild Dog forum so please support him when youâ??re in the Garden Route.

We decided to ride with the group for a short section.

P7060019.jpg

Ons of the perks of having a pillion is the â??in-rideâ? photos ;D

P7060027.jpg

P7060037.jpg

P6280031.jpg

We rode down the Langkloof road and yes, even with a pillion, tar is borrrrrrrrrring. Luckily it didnâ??t take to long to get to the turn-off.

Check out the road sign. Like moths to a flame ;D

P7060047.jpg

This is a very nice road. Luckily it wasnâ??t wet.

P7060054.jpg

Last time I was here we did the Burchell 4x4 route with the trail bikes. I think itâ??s time to come back and do a proper ride report. I had to ride through some mud to get into the site. Mrs. TR opted to get off and take photos rather.

P7060066.jpg

Seeing this place again really made me miss it. Iâ??ll be back soon.

P7060085.jpg

P7060086.jpg

The information section:

P7060088.jpg

P7060095.jpg

Burchell1.jpg

P7060104.jpg

P7060105.jpg

From here itâ??s not far to De Vlugt

P7060108.jpg

P7060111.jpg

The shop in De Vlugt was a welcome stop. Coffee and Milk tart for Mr. TR, Heineken and Droewors for me.

P7060114.jpg

Next Prins Alfredâ??s Pass

P7060118.jpg

P7060126.jpg

P7060148.jpg

We stopped at the Fern Valley picnic spot. What a great place to have a braai.

P7060150.jpg

With some nice forest trails.

P7060164.jpg

P7060175.jpg

P7060155.jpg

It was getting cold as the next cold front moved in so we hit the road again.

P7060176.jpg

P7060180.jpg

P7060185.jpg

And just as we rode into Knysna the first rain started to fall.

P7060204.jpg

We decided not to have lunch here as the weather was only going to get worse and we hightailed it to George. All in all it was a very enjoyable ride. There will be many more pillion rides in future. :thumleft:

Very busy weekend you had! Glad you're enjoying the bike so much. ;D

Some of the routes are familiar to me, some others not. Will come exploring some more as soon as I can.

Nice report.  Can see that you thoroughly enjoy the bike.

Yes, yes, yes.  Don't let it stand and gather dirt it the garage,  gather the dirt from the gravel roads.

As a matter of interest, How much km's on the bike now, TR?

995km

Going for it's 1000km service on Tuesday. :ricky:

Trailrider said:
995km

.....and first full service at the end of August with the way your piling on the miles  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Operator said:
Trailrider said:
995km

.....and first full service at the end of August with the way your piling on the miles  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Next weekend it's Baviaans ;)

Great RR always great to explore with your pillion , thanks for sharing . That new TA is a real kilometer eater  :eek:

sidetrack said:
Mark Hardy said:
:thumleft:

The big trailies offer something that the smaller bikes don't.......

TR don't be tempted into the tar side of life  ;D

Naaaaah.

Having a faster bike makes it easier to get to other intersting gravel bits...

;D ;D ;D