Haenertsburg / Iron Crown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOZO

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Two weeks leave..
That's how it all started.
Packed the kids the wife the toys and left for Tzaneen/ hartnesburg.
The view from the farm is stunning and as I sat on the porch I started thinking about the mountain and the surrounding areas there must be hundreds of km of beautiful scenery there and I wanted to see it all from my bike.
There was only 2 problems. I had minimal time to do it in and I have no idea what I'm doing on dirt road. So there was only one thing for it. Just do it and hope for the best.

aaannnnyyyyyywwwaaaayyyyyyy.

This is the view from the farm. That circle in the picture is the Iron Crown where i wanted to ride to.
viewfromfarm2007001.jpg

Some trivial facts about the Iron Crown

Iron Crown Mountain & Serala
The highest peak in the Wolkberg is reachable by vehicle. Serala forms the larges wilderness area in the province.
There is much to explore in the surrounding area which is a very diverse region.
This area is actually the northernmost range of the Drakensberg with the highest mountain in Limpopo, the Iron Crown towering above the village of Haenertsburg,
This is all i could find.
If you take the first turn off in town and go straight. for about 150m you will see this sign.
thats where the tar stops and the fun starts.
septembery097.jpg

you follow this road for about 5km it will look the sam as this. Beautiful clay roads.
No sand... nice is the road is dry. Murder if its wet. this could be rated as easy in dry conditions.
and 10 outa 10 if its wet.

septembery096.jpg

septembery095.jpg

Eventually you will crest the hill and go on to this type of road.
septembery094.jpg

follow it till you see this sign
septembery092.jpg

follow the road.
septembery091.jpg

you cant get lost here trust me.
septembery077.jpg

septembery078.jpg

septembery079.jpg

septembery080.jpg

Here you can see the condition of the road. Interesting. Heart Stopping. Exciting.
My only regret is I diddent have anybody to share it with.
septembery081.jpg

septembery082.jpg

septembery083.jpg

septembery084.jpg

septembery085.jpg

septembery086.jpg

septembery087.jpg

septembery088.jpg

septembery089.jpg

septembery090.jpg

septembery098.jpg

septembery099.jpg

septembery059.jpg

septembery060.jpg

septembery061.jpg

septembery062.jpg

septembery063.jpg

septembery064.jpg

septembery065.jpg

if you look at the mountain in the background. I went to the crest of that mountain
the most amazing bit about that was the road was green with trees on one side and the
side was dry bush.

septembery066.jpg

This was the turn off to get to the top.
You cant really see the angle of slope here but believe me... For a Newbie like me it felt like everest.
Thoughts of severed limbs and broken bones crossed my mind more than once.
septembery067.jpg

septembery068.jpg

septembery069.jpg

that the view half way up looking back on the road i have just done.
septembery070.jpg

septembery071.jpg

septembery072.jpg

here you can see the difference Trees and bush......
septembery073.jpg

septembery074.jpg

septembery075.jpg

the mountain in the back ground is also featured in the ride report.
septembery076.jpg

Some of the best riding can be done in Tzaneen and surrounding. We don't get many reports form the Ntvl, please post more.

I think there's more DS riding to be done in the Ntvl than any other place in Tvl. Pity the rest of the Gautengers don't think so.

Beautiful area. i went up there on a quad about 2 years ago and the view from the top is stunning. A must do if you find yourself in the area!

BOZO
You discovered a part of our country few people realised exist. There are roads and places there to disappear into. Places few have seen. Those pics bring back memories of a trip weâ??ve done in that area near Serala. One section, 29km long with 25 river crossings took us 9 hours to negotiate with 4 DP bikes.

Latest posts