Have Airhead, will travel ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
19 - 23 At our destination. Much stories, good beer and food and plenty of laughs was had by all

Attachments

• IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    151.1 KB
  • IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    165.6 KB
  • IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    168.6 KB
  • IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    192.1 KB
  • IMG_1689.JPG
    IMG_1689.JPG
    92 KB
24 - 28 Homeward bound. The day started off a little wet but things got better after a bout 2 hours and the rest of my trip home went great.
Some guys were going 2-3 days home via the scenic route but I had to get back to Durbs in one day.
Note DH's ingenious rebound limiter contraption

Attachments

• 2013-03-24_08-54-51_862.jpg
    2013-03-24_08-54-51_862.jpg
    70.2 KB
  • 2013-03-24_08-55-52_406.jpg
    2013-03-24_08-55-52_406.jpg
    82.3 KB
  • 2013-03-24_16-24-10_182.jpg
    2013-03-24_16-24-10_182.jpg
    124 KB
  • IMG_1735.JPG
    IMG_1735.JPG
    146.1 KB
  • IMG_1736.JPG
    IMG_1736.JPG
    77 KB
Great pics Zacapa :thumleft:
With your ride to the GKG you became a legend :ricky:
Let me just say, you have earned your sticker.

Ok Ok.....will drag myself to add some pics. Splendid work so far on the RR , Harry...started
to feel guilty so will post some pics.
Ironically I only have about 10 pics of the whole trip, knowing that Riaan & Willie was filming & snapping away.
Those thats been to the previous gatherings will know that although we are a bit slow on the pics, we actually go full blast and
just edit a whole movie out of it.......so watch the space  :ricky:

Just a big thanks to all that attended, we have become quite a close circle of Airhead owners and once again its been fun to shoot the breeze with everyone, catch up with the usuals and meet some new owners.......makes organizing all future gatherings a pleasure knowing the enthusiasm is always there by the drop of a hat.  :thumleft:

Zacapa.........Respect, that sticker should be permenantly inked onto that fuel tank.  ;)

So , here is a couple of pics from my side.......

Some tinned Airhead Sardines happily being couried to PMZ by Milly's . (Top notch company, will highly recommend!)
KeiBash002_zps01f23c78.jpg

The most prescious garage in PMZ on the night of the 20th March..... :biggrin:
KeiBash051_zpscfa6208a.jpg

Group Accomodation at Hole in the Wall self Catering.....
13030074_zps7a88ae59.jpg

Airheads grazing in pasture.....a EC still life.. 8)
13030069_zpsb467536a.jpg

Coffee Bay Vista...
KeiBash123_zps0969654f.jpg

Making mom proud.....
KeiBash133_zps4def25db.jpg

Saturday night revelary........some serious gutt splitting funny moments followed by a rainy sunday morning leaving that campsite with hang overs on uphill slippery slopes & the some more fun ahead.

13030079_zps5551543a.jpg

13030078_zpse7b1bbd2.jpg

Saturday afternoon outing to the Bushpig pub in Kei mouth.......good fun.
13030077_zpsfe3fdf4b.jpg

2013 Kei Gathering.....
KeiBash222_zps19e65e5c.jpg

.............till next year.. :eek:ccasion14:

Wunderbar_zps13acb0a5.jpg

Thanks Harry and Chairman, I want to go back!. I have posted a separate report so as not to hi jack and left out photos I thought would be duplicated.

Thanks to our Chairman we had a epic trip,it was great to meet old friends.Willie has been sent a disc with pics,to post.

Chairman Meow & fellow Airheads, I must apologise for missing this awesome event. Certainly looks like I missed out on a blast!
Because it was a long weekend, I had plans to go with the family to Plett. The day before the weekend, my kids told me that they were rather going to stay with their mates in PE! Moral of the story: You can rely on an Airhead, but you can't rely on your kids!    >:D

Thanks for the added pictures guys.

Alright, I will carry on from my side and you guys can jump in at any time.
The first night at GKG was a bit slower than what I expected. Most guys have probably been tired from the ride through the Transkei. We are not getting any younger  ::)

The next day I had time to set up my rear shock sans oil. It was behaving so terribly on the way in to the camp that I had real worries how I could ride my bike out of there, never mind the 1.200km to Cape Town.
After some deep thinking, I could only come up with a drastic increase of the pre-load. James helped me to compress the spring as far as possible. I went for a quick ride through the camp and the bike still felt unrideable.
With more help from willing airhead hands I was able to get more pre load on the shock. It must have been very close to stripping the thread of the adjusting nut and so I stopped. I was not able to compress the shock with my weight any more. That’s a good starting point. Rather no rear suspension at all than the butt kicking behavior before. The bike was a bit easier to control but once compressed, the spring hit the shock back into the end stop with a sharp metal click after every bump.

So I rigged a webbing strap to the shock and tightened it as far as possible, to take a bit of load off the spring. That seemed to work.
SAM_0601.jpg

Chilling time. Jaque & Rikus.
SAM_0584.jpg

Some nice airhead examples.
SAM_0586.jpg

SAM_0587.jpg

SAM_0590.jpg

SAM_0589.jpg

How Ian can keep his bike almost dust free after the Transkei dirt roads, I  :dontknow:
SAM_0588.jpg

Thorsten, with his RS pretending to be a GS. He easily kept up with all the other bikes on the dirt roads, no worries. Bikes are overrated - the rider does make the difference!
SAM_0605.jpg

For the gathering with all the bikes it started to rain, just perfect.
SAM_0603.jpg

That night we had quite some fun with plenty of good jokes and laughter around the table and the free flowing Brandy from Willie's leather bag  >:D

jes!we had a good time...i think because we where rebelling against the generator being switched off so early... :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

The next morning it was still raining. The ride out of the camp could become interesting.
In the end it wasn’t too bad and I made it on my donkey ride without any scary moments.

There were a couple of riding groups forming and I joined the Cape Town guys. Some of the guys are lining up - Jaque, Lorenzo, Riaan, James and Rikus. Volker also joined us on the way to PE.
SAM_0607.jpg

It was raining all the way and having proper off road tyres on my bike did not make it easier for me on the wet tar roads.

One of the few stops on route to PE.
SAM_0608.jpg

Aprox 50km before PE Jaque’s bike quit on him and went up in smoke. Luckily Volker’s wife came to the rescue with the bakkie.

A quick visit at Volker’s place revealed a lot of beautiful airheads. He’s got close to 40 bikes in different stages of restoration.
SAM_0609.jpg

SAM_0612.jpg

SAM_0614.jpg

SAM_0615.jpg

These bikes are in the waiting room to be next for restoration.
SAM_0617.jpg

Volker’s race bike with an airhead engine of over 105hp. A work of art.
SAM_0618.jpg

Volker clearly knows something about beautiful things, his wife and daughter are no exception.
SAM_0610.jpg

And the workshop is something even grown up man could dream about. The lathe and milling machine are waiting for some action.
SAM_0611.jpg

Lorenzo decided for a quick run along the N2 the next morning to get home for a business meeting and the rest of the group went at a more leisurely pace towards the Cape.
More rain the next day. Due to the strong wind it was not even dry under this bridge.
SAM_0619.jpg

It cleared a little for the posing in Jeffreys Bay and a heartily lunch was had afterwards in town. Traditional poikie kos – lekker.
SAM_0622.jpg

Then we ride some back roads towards Mossel Bay.

The night we spend in Rikus’s  family beach house. Thanks for being such a great host Rikus. The drinks and especially the Jaegermeister went down quite well that evening.

The next morning we took it slow and Willie decided to get a new battery in town. Easier said than done, the whole operation did take almost the whole morning. In the end he hit the jackpot and scored a nice sealed Panasonic battery.

A few more back roads leading us to Riversdale and this is the last I have seen from my travel companions.
SAM_0627.jpg

After the re-fueling I thought they were carrying on the N2 and gave it horns to catch up with them. At Heidelberg I realized that we must have missed each other.  I didn’t feel like riding the N2 and so I went further on the dirt road towards Barrydale. Tradows pass was a special treat, the twisty road and the scenery is breathtaking.
SAM_0634.jpg

SAM_0629.jpg

SAM_0632.jpg

I should have carried on to Barrydale but instead I went down the pass again to try to hook up with the other guys in Swellendam. There I got hold of Willie and was informed that they are having a break at the Wimpy in Heidelberg. He told me that they are planning to stay on the N2 to get home.

So I decided that I will do the home run on my own on back roads rather. I went through Greyton and noticed the beauty of the landscape so close to home.
SAM_0640.jpg

Over Franshoek Pass I reached Cape Town, just in time for a beautiful sunset.

I made it safely home and could not believe it when I checked the total mileage of the trip. I covered more than 3.500km on my old lady in 7 days of riding. The last 1.200km I did with a rather scary rear suspension and in a strange way I did enjoy the “off “behavior of my bike. It made for a very interesting ride and kept me focused and concentrated all the way. This has saved my butt a couple of times when the bike got out of shape  ;)

Airheads are full of surprises …

Latest posts