Hawston Sweat Box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Myself and Johan (Wolfmother) hooked up again for a ride up to the mast above Vermont.

The very steep track had recently been concreted so took some of the fun out.

From the top we spied a dune in Hawston and decided it was worth a crack.

I have been there before and know that there is a track that although fairly overgrown is ridable. I also know that I have seen some guys living in the bush and so was happy to have Johan along.

The bush is almost completely full of alien trees which is a shame. It wasn't long before an epic sweat session got underway. I have seldom had to work so hard to do 400 meters.

The whole ride was 18 k's and took half the day.

Thanks for coming along Johan.

Click on the picture to watch the video

We got there in the end but both of us were poked and there was no way we would have been able to backtrack. So pushed on closer to the beach were we found a path that took us out of there.

Nice K , but where was that track? , I just saw bush  :D  . Ps I like the way you herded that dog :mwink:

Thanks for sharing Andrew.  I had lots of fun and you showed me how unfit I really am.  If you want to get a good workout I would really suggest joining andrew's sanddune motorbike gym, only two times a week and without question you will be in shape in no time.

Nice one guys!!! Lekker pics and vid.  :thumleft:

Keep a spot open for me for Dec 2011.  :mwink:

Been up there myself on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon, but only to do some maintenance on one of the towers up there
Would love to ride there, but believe permission is a problem
Very nice view from up there

Mountain01.jpg

Mountain02.jpg

Mountain04.jpg

The owners of the property have no problem with mountain bikes going up there. They will not allow bikes. In another post I recently made about forgiveness and permission you can see me having to do the former with one of the owners. I was lucky, one of the other owners has deep pockets and is apparently not shy to drag the issue through the court.

You'll need a fat pair of lungs and legs to make it though.