HD tubes on the 950 (or any tubed tyre for that matter)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Something I picked up on ADV rider today

Those that read my post under the ride reports " Sani 2007 " will have seen that I posted how we took an Ultra heavy Duty tube and lined it with a std tube to prevent penetration punctures and impact punctures. So I'm sitting with 6mm of rubber under the tyre - And this I'm extremely happy about :D ...... or should I be :? :? :?

I also have experienced that when changing the tyre, that the likelihood of the tube being pinched is minimised when changing the tyre - especially with the additional liner

Now, that link on ADV rider seems to suggest otherwise.
The correspondents seem to believe that this causes's excessive heat build-up - to the point of melting the valves off.... and that failures due to this are more likely - especially at high speed highway use !!

KE also replied to this thread and mentioned that on one Namibian trip alone he did 6000km without any ill effects...
I have now done about 7000km with my UHD tubes in and have not noticed anything untoward - in fact the tyres do not seem to get excessively warm at all.
Obviously at lower pressures and higher speeds - heat build-up will be more pronounced, so surely we can manage this by keeping the pressures (with TKC's on) at 3 bar and above on the Tar - generally your speeds (at lower pressures) are less on the dirt.

Conti themselves make a UHD tube, but according to the guy (American - I think) - Conti themselves do not reccommend UD or UHD tubes on anything other than MX bikes

Anyone care to comment on this ???