Highlands Bosbou roads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coxwain

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Spent a very relaxing day exploring some of the bosbou padtjies in the Highlands. Some interesting riding up there.

Attachments

• 20150913_125045 (800x450).jpg
    20150913_125045 (800x450).jpg
    312.8 KB
  • 20150913_125205 (800x450).jpg
    20150913_125205 (800x450).jpg
    315.2 KB
  • 20150913_125141 (800x450).jpg
    20150913_125141 (800x450).jpg
    287.9 KB
  • 20150913_125218 (800x450).jpg
    20150913_125218 (800x450).jpg
    320.7 KB
  • 20150913_125055 (800x450).jpg
    20150913_125055 (800x450).jpg
    315 KB
Does look nice. I'll get there someday, I survived my first sandy ride on Saturday ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll be able to spend a couple of days up there to explore all the roads. ROVRat also has a nice track that winds through a couple of the forestry blocks - great fun.

Are the main road still "sinkplaat"?

ROVRat do know some nice trails there!  :3some:

The main Highlands road is in good condition at the moment.
Winters ...the Highlands is in the Elgin Valley near Grabouw , its a very beautiful part of the world.

Eish B, next time gimme a call when you come this way. This week I would not have been able to join because of work commitments but please check next time!

Do we see you at Harold porter at 07h30 tomorrow morning? Wanted to ask: Where is Drummond Arms?

From where can you start on the bosbou paaitjies?  I'm from Paarl so it's a nice and close playground for me.

Parkinoff said:
Eish B, next time gimme a call when you come this way. This week I would not have been able to join because of work commitments but please check next time!

Do we see you at Harold porter at 07h30 tomorrow morning? Wanted to ask: Where is Drummond Arms?

The Drummand Arms is in Rooi Els , one of my favorite hangouts. Best hot chocolate in the world  :biggrin: and a great place to stop for a cold beer and a burger. Really is a nice place , and its about 10 minutes from where you live.

Will see you at 7.30 tomorrow morning at Harold Porter :thumleft:

Coxwain said:
Parkinoff said:

The Drummand Arms is in Rooi Els , one of my favorite hangouts. Best hot chocolate in the world  :biggrin: and a great place to stop for a cold beer and a burger. Really is a nice place , and its about 10 minutes from where you live.

Will see you at 7.30 tomorrow morning at Harold Porter :thumleft:

Oh of course I know Drummond Arms! They make a mean T-bone as well. We'll see you there and join for hot chocolate. What time?

Regis Laconi said:
From where can you start on the bosbou paaitjies?  I'm from Paarl so it's a nice and close playground for me.

Hi Regis
To get to the Highlands , take the N2 to Grabouw.
Go past Grabouw turnoff and about 3km further on you will see a turn off called "The Valley"
Turn right and enjoy a few kms of lovely twisty tar road which eventually becomes dirt road . This is a stunning road which meanders through the Elgin farm lands . Just be careful of kids and tractors.
You will eventually reach a tee junction , turn left onto the tar road and follow it untill it becomes a dirt road...this is the Highlands road. This road climbs up over the mountains , through forests and eventually comes out at Arabella Golf Estate on the R44.
There are a lot of bosbou padtjies that branch off the main road, most of them are blocked off, but there a few which are open. Find one, and spend hours exploring the area, its really fun.
A word of caution here ....Im not sure if we are allowed to be on these roads , but there are no No Entry signs anywhere.
Ive been up there many times and had no hassles.
Enjoy  :ricky:

Pete ..you're confusing me ....we are meeting at Harold Porter, hell , if we get stuck at the Drum, we will never make it to Caledon by 8.30

See you tomorrow .....AT HAROLD PORTER  :ricky:

Coxwain said:
Pete ..you're confusing me ....we are meeting at Harold Porter, hell , if we get stuck at the Drum, we will never make it to Caledon by 8.30

See you tomorrow .....AT HAROLD PORTER  :ricky:

OkOk!! Now post some more pics of your Highlands ride

Ri said:
Does look nice. I'll get there someday, I survived my first sandy ride on Saturday ☺️

Hey Ri
Congrats on your first sandy ride  :thumleft: sand is always daunting , and believe me....We've all fallen off....more than once. You must come and join us on a Highlands ride sometime ...believe me , we take it low and slow, as we are certainly not "Riding Gods" we go to enjoy ....not to impress.
I will drop you a PM when we are planning to go again :thumleft:

Thank you very much.  Next weekend is a loooong weekend for me, I think it should be quiet up there then.  I'll go explore...

Coxwain said:
Ri said:

Hey Ri
Congrats on your first sandy ride  :thumleft: sand is always daunting , and believe me....We've all fallen off....more than once. You must come and join us on a Highlands ride sometime ...believe me , we take it low and slow, as we are certainly not "Riding Gods" we go to enjoy ....not to impress.
I will drop you a PM when we are planning to go again :thumleft:

Thanks, I'd really enjoy that! Or any decent (e.g. not sandy) dirt road, really  :)

I'm also going to Caledon tomorrow but I'll be waaaaaaaaay at the back of the pack - so nod "hi" if you see a purplish DR650  :ricky:

Rather NOT ride that area.  Private property , forestry or nature reserve.  Jy gan kak optel om daar te ry.  The farmers and officials cant put signs everywhere,  common sense please

FLINTS said:
Rather NOT ride that area.  Private property , forestry or nature reserve.  Jy gan kak optel om daar te ry.  The farmers and officials cant put signs everywhere,  common sense please

One advantage of living in the new South Africa is someone must first be bothered to care if you ride there. I've seen everything from 4x4's to kwaad bikes riding at Highlands. Weekends you should be fine, but obviously, if you go mad and tear up the area, it'll draw attention and you'll spoil it for everybody else.