Hilton Hayward - One of the few (very) good guys left out there

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I am not absolutely certain where this topic fits, so please move it if need be. What I am absolutely certain about is that I want to share this story.

Approximately 4 years ago I took my KTM 250 XCW to Hilton Hayward https://www.haywardsuspension.co.za/ to have the front suspension done. In the week that my bike was at his workshop I bought a Scott steering damper and in my noobness opened the wrong screw and let the oil out. On the day that I went to go fetch my bike from Hilton, I took my steering damper with to ask him if he could maybe help sort it out. It was brand new, I hadn't even used it once and it cost me R5800 with brackets. No idea what they go for these days. Hilton said he could, but not while I wait, so I left my damper with him.

Well, 2 days later I got retrenched and my life got turned upside down. The damper did not even cross my mind, keeping a roof over my head and food in my stomach was all that mattered.

As some of you might know, I recently got my dirtbike back and am in the process of fixing her up. https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=143304.0 On some of the photo's you can even see the damper bracket.

Well today I decided to take a long shot and phone Hilton, because what do I have to lose. I introduced myself and explained that this phone call will likely be strange and difficult to keep up with. I had hardly explained that I left my damper there so many years ago when Hilton interrupted telling me not to worry, he kept my damper for me and that I could swing by any time to come fetch it.

I don't know about you guys, but good people seem to have become rare over the years and this was an incredible experience for me. So exceptional that I wanted to share that with everyone here. I could sit here and punt how fantastic his service was when he did my suspension, but that seems almost insignificant by comparison. Integrity is just so much more valuable.

So, if you aren't sure who to take your dirtbike to (dunno if he does DS bikes), to have the suspension professionally set up or serviced (do yourself a favour, if you don't know Hilton's suspension pedigree, go find out), here is a guy that at the very least, you will be able to completely trust.

Hilton, if you by some chance read this: THANK YOU!!! Your honesty, integrity and kindness moved me and made my day.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: