Hoedspruit Ride Report with lots of Pics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokenFly

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
Decided at the spur of the moment to do a ride to Hoedsruit, was a great weekend and a fun ride.

Bike packed and ready for trip

DSC03224.jpg

Pick up riding partner

DSC03231.jpg

River neat Tzaneen

DSC03237.jpg

On the road to Leydsdorp

DSC03249.jpg

Picture of the Deathwings .....sorry Battlewings not designed for offroad, well at least for novice offroad riders

DSC03250.jpg

Self portrait

DSC03253.jpg

Have fun in on the roads

IMG_6278.jpg

Small water crossing

IMG_6279.jpg

So the Tiger and i were very hot, and decided to cool off a little, Huge disagreement on the dismount though......LOL, OK OK I got windgat and went to quick lost it...DOH! I blame it on the tyres  ;D

IMG_6280.jpg

IMG_6281.jpg

IMG_6282.jpg

IMG_6285.jpg

So next stop Leydsdorp, stunning little ghost town loved it.

DSC03257.jpg

DSC03258.jpg

DSC03259.jpg

DSC03262.jpg

IMG_6292.jpg

IMG_6298.jpg

Still da moer in after the crash

DSC03267.jpg

We arrive safely at our campsite just outside of Hoedspruit called Phelwana, Stunning place and we had the whole camp site to ourselves.

DSC03272.jpg

DSC03273.jpg

DSC03277.jpg

First whiskey down, ego slowly being restored

DSC03275.jpg

DSC03282.jpg

DSC03288.jpg

DSC03287.jpg

DSC03289.jpg

What they dont tell you is the hippo's roam free....NO FENCES, indemnity form at reception ????

DSC03312.jpg

weekend02.jpg

weekend03.jpg

Fire time with the local ladies that run the place

DSC03293.jpg

Brief inspection of the bike, no damages...yeah....ok ok panniers broke, lucky they insured

DSC03309.jpg

Africa I will conquer one day

DSC03311.jpg

Hit the road back sunday morning, stop at a moerse big Baobab tree

DSC03323.jpg

DSC03321.jpg

Me inside the tree

IMG_6345.jpg

ok so this pic does look a bit dodgy

IMG_6340.jpg

Some of the flood damage

DSC03315.jpg

DSC03316.jpg

DSC03317.jpg

DSC03318.jpg

DSC03320.jpg

All in all was a fantastic trip, hope you enjoyed the pics

Thoroughly enjoyed the pics ....this all the terrain that I will be discovering soon...

Thanks for sharing... :thumleft:

You will love the Ride Go-Girl such a stunning part of the country.

watch out for the cooling puddles

it is a beautiful part of our country. nice report and thanks for sharing.

I dig the dodgy tree pic :imaposer:

Lekker trip in a beautiful part of the country.Your riding buddy looks a lot like Lodie who did the Naboomspruit to Germany etc trips?

Frannarossi said:
Lekker trip in a beautiful part of the country.Your riding buddy looks a lot like Lodie who did the Naboomspruit to Germany etc trips?

indeed it is Lodie a very good friend of mine

Hippos are very dangerous, was there Crocks as well?
Nice trip and RR :thumleft:

dual said:

No Crocs that i was aware of, but at night the hippos were grazing about a meter from the tent, very un-easy feeling

Nice trip, SmokenFly.  Looks like you and Lodie had a great ride.  Funny though to see him on his Yammie instead of the KLR!  Lodie also rode with me the first 80 odd km of my Botswana/Zambia/Zim trip last Oct.  We should do a ride together one day.  I live just around the corner of Lodie.  Happy riding!!

Bernt said:
Nice pics. I live close but never had the big rains and by the way -thanks for the invite  :pot:

Eish Sorry Bernt, Next time im in the area for a ride will send you a PM  ;D

Thanks for posting a lovely RR, SmokenFly! Great idea for a weekend breakaway.  :thumleft:

Uhm, almost forgot to add: yes those tyres are to blame!  :biggrin:

SmokenFly said:
dual said:

No Crocs that i was aware of, but at night the hippos were grazing about a meter from the tent, very un-easy feeling

Hippos kill the most people in africa  :deal: Would have also karked myself and fueled up with more whiskey to ease the pain when those underwater ballerina's decide to charge  :eek7:

Your Tiger is really nicely pimped  :thumleft: Just a pity about those larnie pannier that broke  :'(

Nice RR  :ricky:

Swart Baard said:
SmokenFly said:
dual said:

Hippos kill the most people in africa  :deal: Would have also karked myself and fueled up with more whiskey to ease the pain when those underwater ballerina's decide to charge  :eek7:

Your Tiger is really nicely pimped  :thumleft: Just a pity about those larnie pannier that broke  :'(

Nice RR  :ricky:

larnie Panniers crap for offroad ...  :bueller: but had a great ride, after hearing the first hippo GRUNT by my tent i went into a coma otherwise known as a whiskey sleep! to kark scared to be awake..... :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

But in all honesty was an excellent ride