Hoopstad Sandmonster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one guys... Sorry I missed it...  :thumleft:

WOW, dit lyk erg lekkerrrrr, eks bly julle het dit so kwaai geniet, its true . . the Hoopstad boere and boerinne  are great people, allways gasvry, kind and going out of there way to treat people!

Jammer ons het dit gemis, ek hoop vlg keer loop my skedules beter!

Great trip,  great RR's, great ALLES!

Geluk MB en span, you did WONDERFUL! As usually!  :thumleft:

What a great weekend and what a blast I had. Sincere thanks and gratitude to all who were involved and in particular.
Caroline and Hannes well done for organising a great weekend  :thumleft:
Piet for his unbelievable hospitality and opening up his house to 10 "strangers"  :thumleft:
Janes for the great route layout  :thumleft:
Katie and Tania for ensuring that we didnt lose any weight over the weekend  :thumleft:
SGB, Steady, Bees, Gavin & Brandon for the camaraderie out on the trail and during the ride  :thumleft:
Eskape & Misty, Tweetie, Magic63, Alfred and Esther for being there and sharing  :thumleft:

On a lighter note

To my 'lewensgevaarlik' F 800 GS for being so well behaved and not depositing me in a heap even after some seriously antagonistic behaviour on my part  :pot:

To "Eskape"...sometime's just sometime's the first offer made is the BEST offer made  :peepwall:

Hi al julle sandmonster riders. Dit is Janus hier. Ek het toe ook na die naweek se ry eventually gerigestreer en my nick name is SANDRIDER. Dit was vir my en Piet 'n groot plesier om julle almal hier te kon hê en te leër ken. Julle is almal great. Hoop almal het iets geleër die naweek. Nice report en pic wat julle het. Onthou julle is altyd welkom om te kom ry as julle wil, ons ry elke naweek so dit is nie moeite nie.

Coolste bike op AL die fotos is die BMW chopper. Kan iemand die foto vir my email asb en dalk ook kontakno van die eienaar indien het. Kry nie die foto gecopy nie. Thanks.

Sandrider said:
Hi al julle sandmonster riders. Dit is Janus hier. Ek het toe ook na die naweek se ry eventually gerigestreer en my nick name is SANDRIDER. Dit was vir my en Piet 'n groot plesier om julle almal hier te kon hê en te leër ken. Julle is almal great. Hoop almal het iets geleër die naweek. Nice report en pic wat julle het. Onthou julle is altyd welkom om te kom ry as julle wil, ons ry elke naweek so dit is nie moeite nie.

Welkom na die Malhuis Janus. Thanks for a great week-end, you guys blew me away with your hospitality and restored my faith in mankind. I also learnt a bit about modern day farming.

If anyone needs to see how a KTM should be ridden in sand, take a ride with Sandrider and his mate Pieter, awesome guys. :thumleft:

Have some photo's from the week-end but was warned not to post them. :deal:

Milkybar, thanks a million for all your hard work, it was an awesome week-end. Really enjoyed it.

chrisL said:
Coolste bike op AL die fotos is die BMW chopper. Kan iemand die foto vir my email asb en dalk ook kontakno van die eienaar indien het. Kry nie die foto gecopy nie. Thanks.

Done :)

Hey guys.......thanks for al the thanks......it was a team effort and it was joy doing it! If I didn't have the hubby I have, I don't think I would ever be able to do stuff like this. He always support me in my ventures......Thanks Haba!

I'll post some more pics later when th einternet towers can still for a change...terrible winds in the Western Freestate today!..... :ricky:

Mikedabike said:
What a great weekend and what a blast I had. Sincere thanks and gratitude to all who were involved and in particular.
Caroline and Hannes well done for organising a great weekend  :thumleft:
Piet for his unbelievable hospitality and opening up his house to 10 "strangers"  :thumleft:
Janes for the great route layout  :thumleft:
Katie and Tania for ensuring that we didnt lose any weight over the weekend  :thumleft:
SGB, Steady, Bees, Gavin & Brandon for the camaraderie out on the trail and during the ride  :thumleft:
Eskape & Misty, Tweetie, Magic63, Alfred and Esther for being there and sharing  :thumleft:

On a lighter note

To my 'lewensgevaarlik' F 800 GS for being so well behaved and not depositing me in a heap even after some seriously antagonistic behaviour on my part  :pot:

To "Eskape"...sometime's just sometime's the first offer made is the BEST offer made  :peepwall:

Mike is that a new airbag you testing in front of your shirt.Maybe a new product from Leatt. :imaposer:

Sandrider said:

Welkom Janus - Sandrider is net die naam vir jou! Dankie vir die jol op die naweek - seker dat elke een van ons het iets van sand ry geleer. Net jammer oor my GS.

Thanks to all for a great weekend riding, Brandon & I had a great time , its always special to be able to spend time with your kid doing something you both enjoy.
I really enjoyed seen those monsters been piloted through that thick sand by such capable riders and to see the tentative attitude of others turn into such joy as we all came to terms with our bikes and the condition we were riding , Well done to all.
MB thank you again for the effort you put in to make the ride happen
Janus & Piet Ek het nie wooder, but I will ride any were any time with you guys Mozambique comes to mind !!!!

Thanks again to each and every one
Janus this is the site I was telling you about    https://www.ktm950.info/

Mikedabike said:
To "Eskape"...sometime's just sometime's the first offer made is the BEST offer made  :peepwall:

Gee M thats a bit harsh hey!!!! but look after my new bike there.

Gavin said:
Thanks to all for a great weekend riding, Brandon & I had a great time , its always special to be able to spend time with your kid doing something you both enjoy.
I really enjoyed seen those monsters been piloted through that thick sand by such capable riders and to see the tentative attitude of others turn into such joy as we all came to terms with our bikes and the condition we were riding , Well done to all.
MB thank you again for the effort you put in to make the ride happen
Janus & Piet Ek het nie wooder, but I will ride any were any time with you guys Mozambique comes to mind !!!!

Thanks again to each and every one
Janus this is the site I was telling you about     https://www.ktm950.info/
Thanks for the info Gavin. It was nice having you here, sorry about the fuelpomp.

I know every one has done so but I must also thank every one involved in planning this weekend and making sure that thing went smoothly. Esther and myself and I am sure every one else had an absolute blast and some great friends were made.  The food and accommodation was excellent.

Fuel stop for 63magic in Parys
IMG_1832.jpg

Fuel and bum break in Bothaville.
IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

I took only one pic on the morning ride although I could have taken a lot if I didnt feel so bad about taking photo's before helping the sandmonster victims. If I had a helmet cam I would have had some great footage as I rode behind a few riders that were taken unawares. I also dropped my bike in one of those 90 degree corners due to a lack of talent but I suppose its all part of the learning curve.

Flying plow with spades for a propeller.
IMG_1850.jpg

After brunch we set of on a route to Bloemhof and a few riders opted not to go along. Right from the start the pace was a bit faster and where on the morning ride I didn't go over 80 in the thick sand I was now regularly hitting 100 or more not to fall too far behind the pack. This was a real emotional roller coaster ride for me ranging from feeling sort of ok to being scared to death in a bad patch to the exhilaration of making it through after wringing the throttle even more. This is also where I learned what I think is the most valuable lesson and that is "when the bike starts getting out of shape do not close the throttle open up immediately. Dont wait or think just do it".

And then we hit the hard packed dirt roads.
Let me tell you these guys really fly. At some stages I was doing 150  and still falling behind and holding up the sweeper. They had to wait for me at every turnoff. One of the things that made this such a great weekend was that I never heard anyone grumble about about waiting for even the  slowest of riders nor did I ever get the feeling that the guys were getting impatient about waiting for me on this fast ride. Thanks people!

Waiting for Janes to catch up after he went back to help load the stricken KTM.
IMG_1852.jpg

Ice cream and drinks break in Bloemhof. The temperature hovered around 32 for most of the day.
IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg

A single lane bridge crossing the Vaal River.
IMG_1862.jpg

Near the end of the ride Pieter got a flat on the rear. Steady used an air bomb but within second it was flat again so a pick up was called. That evening it was discovered that the valve was torn out of the tube.

From left to right Sandrider (Janes),  Steady, Habahaba and Pieter willing that rear tyre to stay inflated.
IMG_1868.jpg

the beauty (in Yellow) and the beast.
IMG_1869.jpg

Another beauty. I never suspected that a 450 could go like this one goes.
IMG_1870.jpg

After loading the bike we took of on another route and arrived back at the farm just in time to miss a dust storm.

We once again had a "baie lekker braai en laat nag kuier" to finish off the weekend.

Was all lekka riding there Gee S - I was lucky to get to ride that 450 and was as amazed as you at how fast it goes. You are more living proof that the 800GS skrik nie vir sand nie.

Firstly, to say we had a Lekker time is an understatement. We had a Mo*rse LEKKER weekend. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: To MB, thanks for the arrangements, you were superb.  To Pietie & Katie, Janus & Tanja, especially the ladies, we salute you, for opening your house to us, the catering and bar facilities etc, GREAT, GREAT GREAT, MANY THANKS. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Then, its always great to see the ladies out riding. Great to have the roses, among the thorns. Keep it up

Getting down to the nitty gritty, we went there on a mission. To engage the SAND MONSTER!!!. The SAND MONSTER had no sympathy, for us. It regulary lured us into its traps.  Well, we bought many "shares" in the district, to say the least. I bought quite a couple of acres myself. I actually stop counting after 8 (eight)  It goes something like this . Ride, fall, laugh, get up, pick up the bike, catch yur breath, then climb and ride again. Over & aver & over etc. You think you learn. Nnnnnaaaaaaaaaaa. Eventually you just get the feel, and kinda think you've learnt something.

One thing for sure, Unless you ride this sand regularly, and are well qualified,  the GS in BMW GS stands for "Geen Sand" These machines feel like buudosers in the thick sand. pics on next RR

pics next rr
Pic