How much thought should I be giving to the Transalp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGuy

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Good Morning HondaDogs,

Some of you may have seen my intro post. If you didn't, you missed out :p. I'm looking to get a bike so I'm posting around to see what people have to say about the different bikes and whether they'd suit me. Some of the text is a bit of a copypasta from another thread in the XT section.
I'm new to this whole dual purpose business and am looking to get a bike fairly soonish. Ideally I'd like to know what I want and buy it by early to mid December but if I have to wait for something good, then I suppose I'll deal with it.

I would really appreciate some advice. Fuzzy Muzzy has already suggested the Transalp and a friend has one which she seems very happy with. I have started trawling through the Transalp thread but at 60-odd pages, it is taking some time.

Following is a bit about me and the riding.
I'm 1.75m tall and my inseam is 83cm(+-36")
Most of my riding will be commuting - a 60km round trip per day with the occasional mission over a weekend and hopefully a bit of dirt thrown into the mix somewhere.
Reliability is key.
My budget is about 33k give or take a couple of grand and I don't want to have to lay down any more money for at least 6 months, preferably more.
I am a touch nervous that I'll drop it once or twice so I don't want anything too shiny and new but I also don't want an old beater that I have to spend hours and hours on to keep in shape. I don't plan to drop it, but then again, I don't think that anyone ever plans to drop their bike - it just happens.

A couple of questions:
Are there any defects with any particular Transalp models that I should be aware of? eg the KLR's doohickey
What years should I be looking at?
At how many kilometers should I get concerned or not even consider a bike?
Any particular extras that are vital?
Are there any mods that are considered important for maximum enjoyment? eg an extended screen and changing the front forks on the XT600E.
Is 33k just plain too little money for a decent Transalp.
Comfort wise, how does it feel?

Compared to an 2000-2004 XT600E, how does the Transalp fair? From what I've seen, the XTs are generally a bit cheaper but they also seem to be a bit older tech - is this a valid statement?
Transalp vs KLR vs F650GS vs XT600E vs (any suggestions)

POST MODIFIED: I have modified this post to remove any request for information regarding comparisons. This thread was started purely to get information on the Transalp to assist me on figuring out what bike I should buy.

Any insight would be great as well as any reading that you think I should do to help inform my decision.