How to adjust headlights on 1150GSA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Got my HID lights installed recently (FINALLY! :) ). Took a ride out last night to check the beam throw, and played around with adjusting it.

Then came back and read the manual (pp. 46-49 of the Rider's Manual) and got properly confused. So I thought to try the collective wisdom here. :)

Should the pivot lever be horizontal or vertical for adjusting the neutral setting (i.e. no load except rider on the bike)? (Experience last night suggests horizontal, but this seems to conflict with the manual's drawings...)

Should the pivot lever remain horizontal for normal, unloaded use? If not, what is the recommended vertical position - pointing up, or pointing down?

Is there any difference in the beam throw between the pivot lever pointing up or down? Didn't seem so last night, no info in manual.

Is there any way to adjust the main/bright beam independently from the dip beam (e.g. spacers somewhere)? Looks like I need to lift the bright beam just a tad to get rid of the bright spot on the road just ahead of me (or is this normal?).

And a final note: The HID bulbs look cool, and throw a lot more light than standard. Takes a bit of getting used to for the brights to take a few seconds to kick in fully (how does one flash lights at somebody with this delay?), but what a difference!