How to send data from outside SA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RD

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
We are doing a Ride from Cape Town to Cairo soon and I am still not sure what the best way of updating a Report is? ???

I have a notepad computer with a BlackBerry phone on a Vodacom contract. I intend to do regular post, using my phone as a modem. The thing is that I discovered that even if you have a data bundle on your contract it only works for SA. As soon as you cross the boarders then you pay big money. To compare - it will cost say R2/Mb in SA, +/- R56/Mb in most African Countries and as much as R128/Mb in Egypt. :mad:

To buy separate simcards for each country is an option, which should cost a lot less, but then I believe the BlackBerry phone in particular does not "like" this? It is setup for your own simcard and some settings will change or even contacts lost if you chop and change simcards?

Another option is to take a separate modem and do as above. Thing is that one apparently then must buy a universal modem, that is not sold by one of the local Cellphone companies, because of certain settings that are unique for their services, and might give problems in some countries?

To visit Internet café's is a difficult and restricted option because we will travel during day time and camp at night.

I do not know anything about the Satellite phone option?

Do I disable E-mail on my BB to avoid any big surprises, when I come back?