I made my own Tarp for camping/traveling.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boer!

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I've been toying with this idea since I got properly rained on in the Tankwa Karoo in September last year.  With my stealhcamping tent, I could get dressed inside  the tent and stayed dry.  But as soon as I got  out, all the gear I had to pack got soaked completely.  As soon as I open my bag to pack kit inside, the rain would soak it completely within 5 seconds.

I have seen these Kelty and Noah Tarps all over ADV Rider.com, but from what I understood they were very pricey (R1500 and upwards each)

So I made my own.  In the first photos I simply had a 3 x 3m square on two 1,8m alu poles.  It sagged terribly See first pic.  Doing some research and making a few phone calls I found out the straight line from corner to corner had to be cut curved, so it would pull tight.

So I did some more research and more calls, to find the correct curvature, but no luck.  So I thought: Screw it!  Took out a  Biltong knife and cut it freehand, zip zap,  until it pulled tight from pole to pole.  I had Dan stitch up a seam for me again, and Voila.  Last night I put it up.

See second pic. Though the grass around the tarp is wet with dew, the tarp is completely dry. 

I still have one or two improvements to do before it is finally ready, but here it will work as is for now.

Attachments

• IMG-20110914-02648.jpg
    IMG-20110914-02648.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 836
  • IMG-20120201-03561.jpg
    IMG-20120201-03561.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 834