I'll be in atlantis tomorrow morning,Join me!Beginner friendly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys.. thanks for an awesome ride.. It was my 1st time along the railway line and although those stones can be a bit EISH when you hit them at speed, i was happy that I did'nt fall off on those stones. Well done to Wayne for falling off at the 1st puddle..  :biggrin:

I must say , that sand was really hard going, it got to the point where I really did'nt want to fall because I was not sure I had the energy to pick the bike back up again.. I am really thankful for the day as by the time we left I think we got to grips with sand riding.
I thought Martin was going to have a heart attack at one point.. good man for never giving up.

A really special thanks to the guys for taking such good care of us and taking us on the ride.. big up to Michiel who was always supportive and full of advice and ideas on how to not only make the ride easier but how to prevent problems from happening.. thanks very much , you guys were all great and it was a pleasure riding with you.

Etienne, dude, I was so shocked to see your wrist like that, hope you are all patched up and feel better, man you had us so worried.. get well soon mate.

Besides a few punctures, Wanye smashing an indicator and my helmet getting stolen it was a hard ride for us on the Transalps but it was good to get the experience under the belt. Martin's back tyre eventually gave up on the way back and so I gapped it back to the house to fetch the trailer, I think Martin eventually ripped his tube.

Besides a few scratches on the tank my bike went through the day quite well, I did hear the fans come on a few times while I was pushing the bike through the sand in 1st.. I think I managed to get to 3rd once for a few seconds, other than that most of the day was spent in 1st.. and I can safely say I have had enough experience falling and picking my bike up. I lost count of how many times i just could'nt hold that Transalp up and once fatigue sets in it just went down that much easier and took that much longer to get back up..

Sorry I could not make it for the Sunday ride but the spare helmet is just too big to ride with..

Big up guys.. and thanks again for a good day riding.

Muz

Bus said:
Waynan said:
A big thanks to you guys for being so patient with us okes on the Transalps. I must say it was hard work but great fun!
Etienne get well soon dude!
I am thinking of not allowing Fuzzy Muzzy to do these trips any more as they seem to be costing him around 4k a trip in losses and damages.

I think I am going to buy a much lighter bike when I get back from our trip, dunes look like so much fun on a 100kg instead 200kg bike :p

No worries, guys... You can read all you want and get told all you want about sand riding. The only way to learn is to get in there and kak off. Eventually it comes to you. Oh, and a light bike helps too, of course...  :biggrin:

What happened to Fuzzy's bike?

Oh and thanks for the tyre weld earlier that morning.

Fuzzy's bike (the black one) was fine he just lost his helmet  :p, it was Martin's (the silver one) bikes rear tube that decided it had had enough on the way back. I just wish I knew what happened with mine (the blue one :p) when I thought the battery had died, it had every symptom of a dead battery and then 20min later just starts first time, I suspect that some water may have found its way into the fuse box, but who knows...

Fuzzy Muzzy said:
Guys.. thanks for an awesome ride.. It was my 1st time along the railway line and although those stones can be a bit EISH when you hit them at speed, i was happy that I did'nt fall off on those stones. Well done to Wayne for falling off at the 1st puddle..  :biggrin:

I must say , that sand was really hard going, it got to the point where I really did'nt want to fall because I was not sure I had the energy to pick the bike back up again.. I am really thankful for the day as by the time we left I think we got to grips with sand riding.
I thought Martin was going to have a heart attack at one point.. good man for never giving up.

A really special thanks to the guys for taking such good care of us and taking us on the ride.. big up to Michiel who was always supportive and full of advice and ideas on how to not only make the ride easier but how to prevent problems from happening.. thanks very much , you guys were all great and it was a pleasure riding with you.

Etienne, dude, I was so shocked to see your wrist like that, hope you are all patched up and feel better, man you had us so worried.. get well soon mate.

Besides a few punctures, Wanye smashing an indicator and my helmet getting stolen it was a hard ride for us on the Transalps but it was good to get the experience under the belt. Martin's back tyre eventually gave up on the way back and so I gapped it back to the house to fetch the trailer, I think Martin eventually ripped his tube.

Besides a few scratches on the tank my bike went through the day quite well, I did hear the fans come on a few times while I was pushing the bike through the sand in 1st.. I think I managed to get to 3rd once for a few seconds, other than that most of the day was spent in 1st.. and I can safely say I have had enough experience falling and picking my bike up. I lost count of how many times i just could'nt hold that Transalp up and once fatigue sets in it just went down that much easier and took that much longer to get back up..

Sorry I could not make it for the Sunday ride but the spare helmet is just too big to ride with..

Big up guys.. and thanks again for a good day riding.

Muz

haha you were the first down in the sand though :p

Sien nou eers die pics awesome man, waar is die video?
Ek hoor jy het 'n crash in die waterfront gehad ???

Die video is nie wat wonders nie, Bus moes in zoom of nader staan, maar ek sal die clip post
sodra ek kans kry.

Ja, ek't 'n fliek gaan kyk by die Waterfront en oppad terug waai daar Atlantis sand van my fairing af in my oe in.
My selfvertroue was alreeds bietjie geskud na Etienne se val en daar raak ek sommer paniek bevange en besluit
om in die middel van die pad om te tiep! Gelukkig was dit 'n stadigge omval en behalwe vir die mense wat
vir my gelag het was daar geen ander skade nie. Dankie vir crash bars...

Some cellphone snaps from me…

On the railway towards Atlantis
DSC00986.jpg

DSC00988.jpg

Fuzzy
DSC00989.jpg

Waynan & Michiel at the back
DSC00991.jpg

The XR400 kept cutting out sporadically. (Look it up… :laughing7:) So after a lot of kicking by Etienne, Michiel & Myself, we took the spark plug cap off and found that the wire had come loose. So we screwed the cap on properly and it roared into life, first kick!!!
DSC00993.jpg

Then on to the tyre graveyard where Stev0 and I spashed each other jaaging through the big puddles. I got him bad and I expect a good roosting on our next ride, LOL!!!

Then I got a flat front tyre and Fuzzy was friendly enough to lend me his tyre weld. Thanks broe!!

Then on to the sandy tracks that lead into Atlantis.
DSC00994.jpg

Etienne on my Z
DSC00995.jpg

And here the manne with the TA’s started hating life.

Check Fuzzy’s face… Words are not necessary… And check the amateur sand-blasting job on the TA… LOL!!!
DSC00997.jpg

Another sand-blasted TA, this one belonging to Waynan.
DSC00998.jpg

But it was vas-byt and afkak and everyone made it to the dunes.

I was battling a bit coz my front tyre had the tyre weld in it and I made it a little too hard. I didn’t want to deflate it, being scared that the glue could stuff up the valve. Anyways, I rode around it, but just had to be a little more careful.

Some general pics in the dunes.
DSC00999.jpg

Stev0
DSC01000.jpg

Et
DSC01001.jpg

DSC01002.jpg

Then we went looking for the loop around Atlantis. But managed to get ourselves onto the Enduro Loop!!! Bliksem, this was rough stuff, single sand track, maningi woops and overgrown with bushes, but great fun!!! At one point there is a long whoop section with bush on the right and doringdraad on the left… I was kakking off a bit with my hard front tyre, and had a couple of good laughs.
Respect to Michiel who did all of this with the KLR!!!

Looking back towards Atlantis
DSC01003.jpg

Looking towards Table Mountain
DSC01004.jpg

From here we rode around the back of the dunes and this is where we got a little lost. We had to find a route back into the Atlantis dunes. Et & Stev0 got stuck on a hill and I scouted another route further on. Managed to get up the infamous hill and waited there for the guys.

Took some snaps while I waited…
DSC01005.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

Then I heard the rumbling of some single motors and the guys prepared to charge the hill. Stev0 made it up with Et & Michiel watching from below. Next up was Et and this is where the shit hit the fan.

To be continued...

On his approach, round a slight bend, his front wheel tucked in one of our tracks and he went over the bars. Not going fast yet and Stev0 and I had a good laugh, coz it was such a silly fall. Standard fatigue/loss-of-concentration-fall. The ones that just bruise the ego a little… Or so we thought…

He was moving around and we were still giggling when Michiel called us. I could hear from his voice that things were not lekker.  :-\

Stev0 & I legged it down the hill… When we got there, this is what we saw… :eek:
DSC01009.jpg

Et was obviously in shock, so we got him to sit down and gave him some water. He was in obvious excruciating pain, but took it like a champion!!!

Now… we were in the most Northern end of the dunes and there was no way Et was gonna ride out of there and there were no other people around. So Stev0 went scouting for 4x4’s to come fetch him and get him to some help. Lucky he found some okes, cant remember their names, but big thanks to them.

While we waited I phoned Bradley’s (the local WD medic fundi). He gave us some very good advice on how to go about things. Big thanks to you, man!!!

Then on the phone to FourieKop and Kungfu-Panda (the artist formerly known as Vliegvark). And without even thinking about it, KP was on his way with his crooza and trailer. He also brought Wannabee along for moral support. Big thanks to you guys as well!!!

We rendezvoused at the main gate and Et was on his way to Panorama Medi Clinic.

The rest of the story should be well known by now…

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=35801.0

:eek:scar:

Busted...  :biggrin:

I had a silly tip-over while doing a u-turn...  ::)

If you post the pic I will tell your folks it was that scary big bike's fault that you had your accident...  :pot:

Just kidding, post away...

So lucky soos wat bus is, trek ons by richwood weg en bus gee n laaaang wheelie, wragtig daar kom die traffic cop van voor af gery....scary moment

The picture Bus took of your wrist really doesn't justify the moment. You should let me do it next time...

Here is the video, a 5 sec clip but the quality is very poor. Next time  :ricky: No no, just joking.