Imme R100 - Ever heard of it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tok-tokkie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
Came across an article about a German bike I did not know about.  A quote from the article:

A few modern designers quietly uphold the Imme as a masterpiece of motorcycle design. Former Ducati (and current Confederate) designer Pierre Terblanche holds the Imme in high regard:

"...It is a bike of its time, but it really is a fantastic piece of design... It is simplicity of design at its best, spectacular and simple at the same time. Hopefully someday I’ll track one down to buy and place in my living room as a piece of sculpture."

Bienville Studios JT Nesbitt is happy to expound the virtues of the Imme to anyone who will listen:

"It inspires me, and informs all of the decision making on the current project. The Imme represents the most beautiful economy of design that I have ever seen on a motorcycle. Unfortunately it comes at the expense of real world considerations like unsprung weight, exhaust tuning, and suspension damping... But none of that really matters when I consider that it is the only motorcycle that I truly, truly, want to own. If asked, I would choose it over all others."

Picture source:https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Imme_motorcycles#/media/File:Imme.jpg

Note:
1. Fully articulated rear suspension.
2. Single sided rear suspension.
3. In fact that rear suspension arm is also the silencer (but not clear in that picture).
4. Full front suspension - also single sided because this was immediately post war so using minimum material was of critical importance.
5.  The engine is mounted onto a forward extension of the rear suspension so the chain length does not vary & the engine nods in sympathy with the rear suspension.
6.  The rear suspension spring is conical giving inherent rising spring rate.
7. If you read the link you will see that it was used as a scrambler & trials bike also.
8. Front & rear wheels are the same & a spare was an optional extra.

Link:  https://www.odd-bike.com/2014/05/imme-r100-purity-of-design.html

Attachments

• Imme.jpg
    Imme.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 449