Incredible track day at Killarney on Sunday Morning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Wow! What an amazing experience!
I participated in a track day at Killarney Race Course organized by the BMW Club Sunday morning (9 October 2011), and what a blast!

Thank you to Anne, the instructors and track staff who made this track day possible.

I enjoyed this immensely and learned so much about my bike:

how quickly one scrubs off speed - with only the front brake.
    That braking and down-gearing should happen prior to entering the corner so that the bike can settle and lift its head, and the whole bike lift when you apply throttle to take you through a corner.
    How to choose your line through corners - and that riding on the kerb was NOT the best line through a corner.
    That corner 4 was in fact one corner, and not two!☺
    Moving your weight through corners to make you go faster.
    And that it is OK to scrape foot-pegs through corners - the bike will hang on!
    And of course, to look up through corners, and remember to open up the throttle :)

Lastly, it was an incredible experience to blast down the straight on a F800GS at 180km/h like a hooligan...

Amazing - highly recommended :laughing4:

Awesome experience, I did one recently with Honda using their demo bikes, what a blast.
Any idea when the next BMW one is and if they allow other bikes at a cost?

Jacobsroodt said:
    That corner 4 was in fact one corner, and not two!☺

I assume you talking about the double apex leading on to the back straight? Think its called Malmesbury?

I agree, very rewarding when you time it nicely and hit the second apex at pace... and the straight opens up like magic!

Why don't we organise a WD Western Cape track day? Apparently you can rent the track for a couple of hours.
Has it been done before (down here)? We could get someone to give us some basic tips and let us lose to tear up some tar.

Now that will be awesome. Would like to see all the DS bikes coming down the main straight and diving for that first corner.

It has been done before...

wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=34491.0

It was fun!

See, now if they had demo bikes available for the okes to ride.. i would be on A 800gs and an 800 tiger in a flash

The tar track is amazing to go on, and safe. To all the car guys, coming Sunday it is the Ferrari track day, with some thing like 30+ cars from Gauteng alone!
Watch out for a very fast guy in a 1978 308 GT4.

Is Freak still around, maybe he can organise us another one? I'd love to stretch my ST's legs on that back straight  :mwink:

Suzuki South has monthly track school days at Killarney for all types of bikes. Three different speed groups and they cater well for first timers on all makes. I used to take the GS regularly when I had DS tyres on her. Not sure when the next track school is but call SS.

The Cape BMW Club is very active with training initiatives. On the 4th Sept they had a Track Day with instructors from all three of the BMW dealers - Chris Hamman, John Carr and Wayne Fritz... Plus Max Lange - a highly skilled instructor from the Club.

I had Drift HD Action Cameras on them all... Produced some awesome footage, and was used as a great training tool for the instuctors to point out to participant what they could do better.  :deal:

Was a very lekker day. It would be great to do something like this for interested WD  :thumleft:

Please check, but I overheard that Suzuki South has a track day this coming weekend. It will only be cancelled in case of rain.

BMW had the track day for Ladies, First Timers and New Riders. There were quite a few guys who participated, and the guys and girls in the Fast group were very fast. They opened this day to other clubs in order to get the minimum of 30 riders for the day.
We had an incident free day on Sunday, but according to the marshals, on the last heat of a similar morning last Sunday, a brand new road bike (R6 or similar) went off on the first turn with some expensive implications :)

You are welcome to speak to Annie from the BMW club for more info. See this thread for info on the day:
https://www.bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/ladies-track-morning-sunday-9-oct