Iron Butt Business trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eendstop

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Then why ride to Bloemfontein and back on a bike. Because I CAN, and also to finish the Maxxiss tyres on the bike.  I needed to go from Eendekuil to Bloemfontein to attend negotiations on the sale of a building, so I took the trusty GSA on Sunday and tackled the 1100 km route via Vanrhynsdorp, Clanwilliam, De Aar to Bloem. Returned yesterday - same 1100km back. 10 hours on the road. Due to the nice firm comfy seat of the GSA, I can't sit properly today. To date my longest distance covered in one day! :3some:

Hands sore also, and tyre FUBAR. Thankfully!! Now I can get Heidi's eventually. The tyres lasted 2000kms gravel and 2500 kms tar - 4500 in total. The worst tyres I had to date ito roadholding, especially on gravel, and also RR's per km, one of the most expensive!

Interesting, except for using your bike to and from work, who had been this off beat to do this kind of trips for the sake of riding the bike, just because the opportunity presents itself?

Attachments

• HPIM5952_tn.jpg
    HPIM5952_tn.jpg
    208.6 KB
  • HPIM5953_tn.jpg
    HPIM5953_tn.jpg
    222.2 KB
Eendstop said:
Interesting, except for using your bike to and from work, who had been this off beat to do this kind of trips for the sake of riding the bike, just because the opportunity presents itself?

Stellenbosch to Christiana, then back via Port Alfred. Up was in one day, back in three.

Cheaper option would be to bus to Christiana (parents live there), sensible option is to plan and book cheapish flights to Bloem/Kimberley, but the funnest option is to ride! :) Usually gives a good excuse to find some Karoo dirt on the way back.

Can relate to the callouses and stiff coccyx at the end of such a trip.

Nicely done though, good miles in few days! :)

The route to our Qwaqwa campus is always an incentive for me to take the bike. On average an 800k round trip. :thumleft:

A couple of years ago I was part of the makeup of Jeroen Luyk's IBA BB Gold ride. The oppertunity presented  itself when a friend asked me to accompany him on the day. 2500km roundtrip for the day. Left Gold reef city and rode to Clanwilliam and back in the same day. Before that I rode to Gold Reef city from my house in Sasolburg and then back home after the trip. 2500km for the trip and 100km to starting point and 100km home = 2700km. I rode a Honda Firestorm (superbike at the time) 

My longet ride in one day was 1200km, it was only supposedly 950 km but then I found Long Tom Pass and ending up riding it 3 times, just for the pure fun of it.

I really enjoy long rides, especialy round trips into the Cederberg, never shorter than 700km for the day.

For business: I did Amanzimtoti, Harrismith, Betlehem, Bloem in a day. Then a day later did Bloem, Maseru, Thaba Tseka followed by Thaba Tseka, Sani, Amanzimtoti.

Private: I have not done more than 880km in one day.

NIEKIE said:
A couple of years ago I was part of the makeup of Jeroen Luyk's IBA BB Gold ride. The oppertunity presented  itself when a friend asked me to accompany him on the day. 2500km roundtrip for the day. Left Gold reef city and rode to Clanwilliam and back in the same day. Before that I rode to Gold Reef city from my house in Sasolburg and then back home after the trip. 2500km for the trip and 100km to starting point and 100km home = 2700km. I rode a Honda Firestorm (superbike at the time) 

Ek moet dit nou ruiterlik erken: Ek is nie van hierdie stofasie nie :-[ Goeie hel Niekie, vir so 'n trip huur ek 'n Boeing! My langste rit vir 'n enkele dag is vanaf Swellendam tot in Upington.

Eendstop said:

Nice ride Eendstop.  Go forth and do many more. :biggrin:  But be careful, once that gogga bites it becomes difficult to do anything else with your bike.  I've done a number of long rides, most of them just because, and have enjoyed each one thoroughly.  I guess the more extreme one was 4800+ km in 48 hours (on a FJR) while the most difficult one was 6656 km in 114 hours on my AT.

Minor nitpick: while 1100km is way more than what many people would ever travel in a day on a bike, it is still a bit short of something that qualifies as a proper Iron Butt ride.  For the latter you'll have to do at least 1600km in 24 hours. :)

NIEKIE said:
Left Gold reef city and rode to Clanwilliam and back in the same day.

Liewe hel..... :eek:

The first 200 km is lekker
Between 201 and 450km your ass wants to get off the bike.
Betweem 451 and 750km your ass dont talk to you.
Between 751 and 1250km your ass throws a tantrum
After 1250km your ass just refuse to talk or listen to you. :biggrin: