Itchy Boots - New Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My money is on the 350 given the options she listed. Can’t see her “handling” the heavier bikes. Her experience will keep her on a light bike…
Servicing is going to be an issue. She went 12000km between services on the CRF300L.

In the USA they have what is basically the same bike the FEs and EXC-F as dual sports and less stringent schedules. I would think this would be more how most owners actually use them, those that are not racing at least.
For the US spec 350 FEs and EXC-F the oil change intervals are in miles, 31 miles for the first service then every 500 miles roughly which is a little more reasonable than every 15 hours. However this is still excessive and most owners don't follow that. If you look KTM says the engine should be rebuilt at 5,000 miles but people are getting way more miles than that.

Even if you double the service intervals it will be an issue.

Also the 350 is not a comfortable cruiser at all. This is a no. 1 priority methinks, plus the ability to carry stuff.

The KTM 350 is light yes, but in my opinion that is where the benefits end.

With the amount of luggage she hauls around I don't think it will work.

But, the rest of the bikes on her list are all bigger and heavier than the Rally.

I guess my money is on the CF Moto... or the T7

Again we do not even know where she will be riding. Putting around the TET with lots of places to service I'm sure a KTM 350 would work. Crossing Oz maybe not.

Servicing is going to be an issue. She went 12000km between services on the CRF300L.

In the USA they have what is basically the same bike the FEs and EXC-F as dual sports and less stringent schedules. I would think this would be more how most owners actually use them, those that are not racing at least.
For the US spec 350 FEs and EXC-F the oil change intervals are in miles, 31 miles for the first service then every 500 miles roughly which is a little more reasonable than every 15 hours. However this is still excessive and most owners don't follow that. If you look KTM says the engine should be rebuilt at 5,000 miles but people are getting way more miles than that.

Even if you double the service intervals it will be an issue.

Also the 350 is not a comfortable cruiser at all. This is a no. 1 priority methinks, plus the ability to carry stuff.
Aaron Steinman did 140000km riding around the world on his KTM 500, stretched oil changes to every 3000km and only did first top end rebuild at 70000km odd
Oil service on a KTM plastic is super easy and takes a few minutes.

And that was a preventive top end rebuild.
It wasn't even yet needed.

But I have to say that using these race bikes for DS is not for everyone.
If you're doin it wrong, it's going to tire you out or ruin your day.

Personally, I think she rides too slowly to warrant such a machine 😔
She should rather stick to something light and slooow

Jy gaan nou weer die slow/Honda/Yamaha brigade hier op hol sit….

Nee wat, ek het nou net saam met my vrou na die reeks "Tread the globe" gekyk, van 2 Britse oumense wat die wêreld deurkruis het in

n Fiat Ducato paneelwa, en hulle is BAIE meer exciting as Itchy...

Agree, the 350 will only make sense if she is going to enter some races again along the way. Schoenmaker hou jou by jou lees

Nee wat, ek het nou net saam met my vrou na die reeks "Tread the globe" gekyk, van 2 Britse oumense wat die wêreld deurkruis het in

Oumense volg op YouTube ….😳

Danie, jy sal dink skottelgoed was is meer exciting as Itchy. Ons ken jou mos.

I'd say CFMoto....lower, lighter and there should be lots of spares in the Far East...

Latest posts