Its amazing what 35mm and one tooth can do....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lourens

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
A month or two ago I bought handle bar raisers for the XT and also a new chain and sprockets set.  I only got around to  changing the sprockets/chains and installing the raisers last Saturday.

At first the handle bar raisers seemed impossible due to a too short clutch/throttle/brake cables.  I think I spoke to Jumper at the GM bash and he raised his XT's bars also. He solved the short cable problem by moving the controls slightly inward.  So I loosened all the controls and installed the raisers.  Then it was time to sort out the cables. With the controls moved inward it would have worked fine but after close inspection I noticed the shorter cables crossed over the longer cables. So a little cable re-routing gave me enough slack to keep the controls on the same place.  I tilted the handlebar a bit backward and it feels very comfortable in the seating position.  Standing is also much better and far more comfortable.

The sprockets and chain went easier except when I compared the two back sprockets I noticed the new one is one tooth larger than the old one.  At first I thought that I would like to have the same size sprocket but soon changed my mind.  I realised that the XT will have better low end torque and pull away but I will sacrifice some top end.  I decided to put the larger sprocket in.

So, last Wednesday(holiday) I got the first chance to the the XT for a test drive.  What a difference!  I love the more power at pull away!  On the dirt the back end is quite a bit more "loose" and better throttle control it called for else I can loose the back too easy.  I can foresee the rear tire lifespan severely shorted!  ;D

On the way back, lets say on a deserted runway, I had a chance to test the top end.  I was impressed.  I reached a indicated 180km/h but the speedo is way out due to the larger back sprocket.  On the GPS it was 160km/h. But what was interesting to me is that it reached 180 much easier than it reached the 170 max previously.  On the GPS the top speed is the same as before, 160km/h.

I can honestly recommend a up size of the rear sprocket and handlebar raisers.  It is a big improvement on the grin factor.  ;D