Jockstrap Pass (video of Lesotho Sky mtb race added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I put this ride report out here for anyone who would like to know the current condition of Jockstrap Pass
near Ramabanta in Lesotho. Katuum from the Eastern Cape contacted me before and specifically asked.

For the past 9 days Dusty and I went chasing after crazy mountain bikers riding on so called "Lesotho Jeep tracks"
and "cattle tracks" to film what is now established as the Lesotho Sky mountain bike race. I will share a video
as soon as it is done. Day 3 of the race ended at Ramabanta and that afternoon I quickly scooted out to go have
a look at Jockstrap Pass.

First I need to stress that when you plan a trip to Lesotho, as specially if you will ride on tracks that doesn't
show on maps, you have to use common sense. Know your bike, know your ability, watch the weather!
Please do not ride somewhere because I said so but rather evaluate the info I give keeping in mind your
own unique situation. I rode down Jockstrap from Ramabanta side, turned around and rode back up the
pass within 40 min. This included some minor road building and photo taking. I was by myself and managed
without incident but, and this is a big BUT, I was using HPN 663 and she makes riding this sort of terrain a
hell of a lot easier.

Jockstrap is not a steep pass. The road surface has been eroded away quite badly over the last rain season.
Trying to paddle or push the bike will make for hard work and burnt clutches. The only way to easily ride up
the pass is to - stand up, look up and open up. Momentum is key.

From Ramabanta the turnoff to Jockstrap is 12km up the road to Semonkong.

JockStrap01.jpg

The track is very faint as it runs over grass covered ground. This is the valley that the pass will drop down
into. The actual pass starts within 5km from the turn off.

JockStrap02.jpg

JockStrap21.jpg

This is the start of Jockstrap.

JockStrap03.jpg

JockStrap04.jpg

On the upper half of the pass there is a little village.

JockStrap05.jpg

Looking down to where the pass will end at another village. The next day we filmed there at the first water
point for the race. The mountain bikers did not ride on Jockstrap but took another more infamous track that
runs to Ramabanta just West of Jockstrap. This is where a guy went down in a specialized yellow Land Rover.
It still lies at the bottom. Some people might know the story.

JockStrap06.jpg

Near the village.

JockStrap07.jpg

JockStrap08.jpg

Beyond the village the pass becomes a bit rougher with long stretches of loose rock.

JockStrap09.jpg

JockStrap10.jpg

JockStrap19.jpg

Towards the bottom of the pass the road surface becomes better but there are a couple of tricky switch-backs.

JockStrap11.jpg

JockStrap13.jpg

Now the pass is smooth again and one can really enjoy the view.

JockStrap12.jpg

Towards the village at the bottom of Jockstrap. There is also a school here.

JockStrap14.jpg

Back up the pass. Now stopping has to be down to the even sections.

JockStrap15.jpg

A self portrait.

JockStrap16.jpg

This is the worst section of the pass. Luckily it is not too steep.

JockStrap17.jpg

JockStrap18.jpg

On the way out I lost my way and ended up against a deep donga. Turned 663 around and shot straight
up this hill. See how the Desert left its mark.

JockStrap20.jpg

To conclude: Jockstrap is one of the most exiting and beautiful passes I have ridden in Lesotho. It runs
through a spectacular valley. The road that leads up to it from the North is awesome! This is one of those
rides you have to do. With the right attitude, technique and equipment Jockstrap can easily be ridden.
For a group of 3 or more people allow enough time to ride.