KDX 200 Strange Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadDog

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Good Morning

I recently aquired myself a very good condition 2006 KDX 200. The bike is stock standard and runs like a dream. Its been meticulously maintained and is as clean as the day it left the dealership in 2008.

Yesterday I took it for its 1st proper ride, performance is great considering the stock pipe and the handling is superb. However, after about 30 minutes of playing around I started to hear a strange sound coming from the motor area, its hard to describe but I'd have to say its closer to a whistle than anything else. The 1st time I heard it was while out on the enduro circuit and it went away the moment I got back onto the powerband but returned after another few hundred meters of slow riding.

I made a small clip of the sound as it is with the bike idling and blipping the throttle, that can be found here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Nnbr6PSy4

Once the bike is cold again, the sound is gone.

My gut tells me thats air being sucked in somewhere, the doomsayers are saying its a dry bearing but I have my doubts.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas as to what it could be, I would appreciate the input.

Please note that there was no performance loss whatsoever and no telltale knocking to suggest mechanical failure. The magneto is perfect and the gearbox oil level is spot on. Compression is perfect too.

Any idea's ?

Regards

Dave