KLR oil screen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

D7

Another on the KLR owner's list of must do things

it is well documented by people who know how to wrench,  that the thai are not quite as slant eyed as the japs.  thus the strange conglomeration you WILL find on the oil screen.

The oil screen (as i understand it) is simply another oil filtering mechanism,  which would (and does) trap some of the larger stuff floating about in your oil as it does the rounds - so to speak...

See,  the thais try to be neat,  but they drop all manner of things into your engine as they bolt it all together.  Luckily the screen catches a lot of this stuff.

What you will need to do the procedure is a new gasket for the clutch side of the motor, some new oil,  a new filter at the same time (this is a klr,  but c'mon,  spoil her!!),  some beer and a bit of patience.  I'm no master wrencher,  but the KLR is simple enough,  and after enough beer,  you too will be brave enough to delve in there!

Procedure goes something like this:
footpeg off
drain coolant
engine side cover off
oil filter out (carefull with the shaft thing in the middle - it's NB)
oil screen is the hole in the centre of the 1st pic
some stuff that came out there was scarey, but the beers (& bullshi^t) were flowing and pics were mostly forgotten.
reverse procedure and add new filter and oil
when starting bike after draining: starter, kill witch, starter, kill, starter,  kill etc - try to get some of the new oil all about the insides before the piston does any work - again actual wrenches and gurus (WELSH!!!) will advise if this is crazy overkill.  as i said the beers were flowing,  and this seemed right at the time...

I  had some wire,  a whole lot of black rubber/plastic and some steel?? (magnetic so not alu??) shavings...

in the earlier days i was unaware of how oil thirsty my fat girl was and ran her a little dry - maybe the fruits of my labouring her...

O0

Attachments

• and in the centre.jpg
    and in the centre.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 24072007258.jpg
    24072007258.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 24072007259.jpg
    24072007259.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 78