KLR rev / power loss / splutter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLRChris

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi dogs,

Returned home today after a week long trip with Hobie clockwise around Lesotho on the SA side, I have a issue with my bike, it is a 2009 model new shape, and I have never had issues with it before. It is on 23k km and I have ridden most of it.

After about 1200km on the trip (we ride out KLRs to where we want to be) near Rhodes, I started feeling loss of power when opening up the throttle to climb. I thought it might be bad fuel? but I am now a few tanks further and still I have the same issue. It got a bit worse and then seemed to stabilize, so I rode the bike another 1100km to Pretoria in the last 2 days.

I can get up to 4th gear on the open road, I can get 90 - 100 kmh flat-out, seems it cannot go above 4400ish RPM. Not enough power to ride in 5th gear. When I gear down, a blast of black smoke comes out the exhaust, but not every time. This is not oil related the bike uses zero oil and I kept an eye on this.

Fuel consumption is terrible, first part of trip with gear I got 22 - 23 km/l now between 8 - 9 km/l! :'(

Air filter was quite dirty, it is one of the K&N cone shaped ones I washed it in Rhodes but no difference. I recently replaced my spark plug, and I also fitted my crash bars after some much needed welding to repair them (had to take the tank off). Could I have pinched a hose? There aren't that many around there and it was fine the first part of the trip... I recently serviced the bike *(so new plug)and did about 1000 km after service before trip and it was going great.

Can the carb be filthy - we did some muddy and sandy roads. We also rode in heavy rain / can it be water in the carb or engine? How do I clean this if you guys think it is the carb? Could it be timing that went out? I don't think it is the hoses from the tank if I put the selector tap to reserve it uses a different pipe to feed the carb as far as I can tell and the issue is still there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I am spending tomorrow to try and figure this one out.

Thanks