Koro Koro Tyre Trouble Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
It was Saturday morning of a long weekend and our regular “speelgroepie” knew we wanted to go somewhere, but the decision wasn’t final. In the end we decided fukkit, let’s go to Koro Koro near Warmbath. Sweis/Adele said they had space and I knew a delightful road that would take us from Harties all the way to Koro without doing more than 10 km on tar.

Meeting at Engen Harties:

IMG_0153_.jpg

When I got to Engen at Harties I had a flat, which I should have taken as a bad sign, but there was no way I was going to turn back so I plugged the farker and we got on with the business.

Tupperware Du Plessis had eventually decided to get himself some soft luggage – courtesy of Runner, now he must just figure out all those straps.

IMG_0154_.jpg

All along the famous Canal route till Nino called and asked where we were, so we turned off to Beestekraal and went to get him to join in our antics.  Here we had a sharpie before we continued on our journey followed by Nino in his bakkie!

Meeting up with Nino at Beestekraal

IMG_0172_.jpg

He was suffering from the after effects of the previous nigh as well as having a case of long tom Zamalecks in the cooler, so he proved much entertainment.

Scenic photo at Beestekraal

IMG_0167_.jpg

At some stage he managed to hook of several km’s of barber wire which he dragged behind his cabie till it wrapped so badly around the rear axle, the bakkie grinded to a halt. Several hours later we managed to clear all the wire and continued our journey.

Zamaleck stop on the way

IMG_0177_.jpg

….where the local gets warned not to drink and walk

IMG_0178_.jpg

IMG_2250_.jpg

We eventually arrived at Koro after 6pm and immediately got ourselves another sharpie before we eventually retired to our camping spot at 8pm to pitch our tents and make a fire.  Advice: Don’t buy your firewood along the road outside Warmbath, you will use an entire packet of Blitz and still no fire. Buy your wood from Sweis, it’s dry and gives a nice fire and aroma  - all that is needed for a night in da cold bushveld.

Nino dragging some 2km of barbed wire down the road

IMG_0183_.jpg

Fortunately the cop who pulled up got out his bakkie Amstel in hand, else this could get nasty
IMG_0190_.jpg

Sorting the groot k@k

IMG_0189_.jpg

Wrapped stuffs

IMG_0191_.jpg

IMG_0195_.jpg

………and Nino providing more entertainment

IMG_0186_.jpg

Of course I suffered another puncture, which I noticed as we were looking for our campsite, but I only fixed that on Sunday morning. A leisure awakening, followed by an endless search for the fookin hole in the tyre saw us leaving Koro around 9:30 heading for Thabazimbi via Rankens Pass.

This one can shread a tyre chop chop

IMG_2253_.jpg

Enroute I noticed Daboulamanzi behaving badly, so I checked and needles to say the puncture was leaking again. So a quick fix and off we went again. Just before Thabazimbi we turned left and headed for Rooiberg.

Koro Koro – always in mint condition

IMG_0217_.jpg

Sweis and Adele really keeps this place in tip top condition

IMG_0219_.jpg

Yet another puncture saw me riding into the garage at Rooiberg with my moermeter indicating red.

Waterberge

IMG_0221_.jpg

The rocky surface before Rooiberg had really taken its toll on the rear and a hole so big my thump fitted in the hole had reared its ugly head. Five plugs later the hole seemed to be plugged and we headed to Jakkalsdans for lunch. After lunch I noticed the rear was still inflated, happy days and decided to head back home on tar and not temp fate.

Finally at Koro

IMG_0197_.jpg

Making breakfast

IMG_0204_.jpg

Pannier du Plessis & Son

IMG_0207_.jpg

Fixing punctures without a centre stand

IMG_0210_.jpg

Cooked meal at Jakkalsdans in Rooiberg

IMG_0224_.jpg

IMG_0225_.jpg

However Murphy has decided that was no the way things were going to happen, so as we hit the R516 from Warmbaths to Thabazimbi, I noticed the rear running all over the place. Yes all the plugs had disappeared from the hole and the tyre had severely disintegrated – to the extent where travelling another 10 cm’s would be utterly foolish. After much deliberation we decided to load Daboulamanzi in the back of the D/C after removing the screen and handle bars. As the saying goes – there is a first for everything.

Plugging holes

IMG_2255_.jpg

……and another

IMG_2254_.jpg

This was the first time ever in ± 30 years of riding where I could not complete my journey due to tyre failure. In retrospect I guess I should have taken better care of it, maybe pumped it a bit harder, or softer or been a little lighter on the throttle, but yea it’s now to late for sorrow.

Twice I have ridden to Thabazimbi with Daboulamanzi, and twice he had to come back on the back of a bakkie. Am I missing something here?

Lesson learn: When you plug a tyre, do not add tyreweld. Nothing sticks to that stuff and all  plugs will simply pop out

One farked tyre later and Daboulamanzi had to ride back in da bakkie

IMG_0241_.jpg

IMG_0244_.jpg

IMG_0245_.jpg

IMG_0248_.jpg

Leo, daai klipperige paaie is maar rof op enige taaier >:D Ek het so 'n amperse soortgelyke ondervinding gehad in Junie vanjaar: https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=51403.0

Lekker trippie Leo. WHat is a trip without a few challenges? :)

Now tell me what is wrong with this pic

IMG_0204_.jpg

Bad luck with the tyre but lekker trip otherwise. Thanks for the pics.

regte tyre naaier  :ricky: :biggrin:

Snafu, jy bedoel Leo se stepouts?  :mwink:

Snafu said:
Now tell me what is wrong with this pic

IMG_0204_.jpg

Leo & Excalibur's crocs are not blue!  :peepwall:

PS: Lekker trippie Leo & maats.

Kief trip. Pity about the tyre  ??? That bike in the back of the bakkie is hilarious  :imaposer:

michnus said:
regte tyre naaier  :ricky: :biggrin:

Snafu, jy bedoel Leo se stepouts?  :mwink:

Daar kan baie kommetaar gelewer word op die klere drag, insluitend Leo se krismispakkie, maar die enigste ou met ATGATT is die een sonder bike, lyk my die backup crew was van plan om die bottel aan te vat en het beskerming gesoek :p

Leo said:
Wrapped stuffs

IMG_0191_.jpg

IMG_0195_.jpg

This reminds me of an email I got a week ago. Sorry for the hijack, but too funny not to share...

A woman ran over an innerspring mattress on the highway,
and decided not to worry -- and kept on driving.
It caught on the undercarriage of her Ford.

The ensuing jumble finally whipped around enough
to tear a hole in the fuel tank.

The subsequent lack of fuel is what finally
brought her vehicle to its knees.

She had managed to drive 30 miles,
with a 60 pound tangle of stuff wrapped around her drive shaft.

She had it towed to her Ford dealership, and complained
that the vehicle had a 'sort of a noise'
when she was driving at high speeds.

Below are the photos of what they
found at her Ford Dealership....................

The last photo is by far the best.

"Sort of a noise" -- I'll bet it did!

Attachments

• matras1.jpg
    matras1.jpg
    223.8 KB
  • matras2.jpg
    matras2.jpg
    228.7 KB
  • matras3.jpg
    matras3.jpg
    174.4 KB
Nice one Leo, looks like you had lots of fun! I know that firewood outside Warmabths and used to live there myself. That wood is always wet, you can see the condensation inside the bags but they still tell you it is dry. At the time I was working away from home for three months and then back for three weeks. What I did was by the wood before I go away and unpack under my braaier, when I get back the wood was dry and ready for a braai.

Nice one Leo and co.  :thumleft:

IMG_0204_.jpg

My eyes  :eek7:
Tight pants and crocs. You should have been on the ladies ride this past weekend  :imaposer: :imaposer:

jeesh Leo a 'realtionship ' with punctures.... >:D :mwink:

lekka trip with the regular friends... :thumleft: