Kosmological Koranna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobCrouch

Not a bachelor.
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Yesterday I aimed north east and ended up at a place I have always wondered about...
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=18015.0
Along the way there were plenty of signs of the constant rains we have been having...

Attachments

• Photo0566 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0566 (Medium).jpg
    92.8 KB
  • Photo0567 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0567 (Medium).jpg
    93.6 KB
  • Photo0568 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0568 (Medium).jpg
    79 KB
  • Photo0565 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0565 (Medium).jpg
    75.4 KB
The weather was perfect, with an autumn chill, and the scenery was stunning...
The Cosmos in bloom all over as well when I eventually chose this road to Marquard and found the Korannaberg...
There was more Kosmological magic later on in the ride...

Attachments

• Photo0569 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0569 (Medium).jpg
    72.1 KB
  • Photo0570 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0570 (Medium).jpg
    71.8 KB
  • Photo0571 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0571 (Medium).jpg
    85.4 KB
  • Photo0572 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0572 (Medium).jpg
    118.3 KB
  • Photo0573 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0573 (Medium).jpg
    83.8 KB
Along the way more prickly pears... and more Korranaberg...
and even with the road washed out in places it was still a pretty good gravel highway with more Cosmos...
Got to Marquard and filled up after snapping pics of the church...
But the eatery I wanted to fill up at was closed... otherwise a nice town compared to some run down ones in the Free State, can see why they won the 2009 Volksblad Tourism award for most tourism attractive town. Should have taken more pics but time was marching on and I was a long way from home... further than I had planned originally... :mwink:

Attachments

• Photo0579 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0579 (Medium).jpg
    77.2 KB
  • Photo0581 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0581 (Medium).jpg
    59 KB
  • Photo0577 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0577 (Medium).jpg
    79 KB
  • Photo0576 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0576 (Medium).jpg
    66.7 KB
  • Photo0574 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0574 (Medium).jpg
    94.5 KB
From Marquard I picked the Flora road that leads back towards the Korannaberg environs...
The view was amazing when I stopped for a break and some communicationg with MD and my daughter back home... Cell coverage seemed to be very good whenever I stopped along the way... maybe a good place to have a bash one day?

Attachments

• Photo0583 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0583 (Medium).jpg
    90.9 KB
  • Photo0584 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0584 (Medium).jpg
    64.3 KB
  • Photo0585 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0585 (Medium).jpg
    63.9 KB
  • Photo0586 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0586 (Medium).jpg
    61.9 KB
  • Photo0587 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0587 (Medium).jpg
    60.4 KB
Some more of the rock formations of the Korannaberg and the roads... the surface varied from gravel highway to very technical washed out sections all along the way from Flora... I had great fun as it was sit down relax... ::) ummmm I better stand now! type of riding. :eek: Never a dull moment but no big surprises...
Reached Excelsior and did the "pic of the town church" procedure and then headed to Thaba'nchu and then via dirt to Mazelspoort and home... by now the sun was low and I did not do any further stops as I wanted to get home before the sun became too low, got to the slab at Mazies just as it became a pain to see the road ahead...
Awesome day!

Attachments

• Photo0588 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0588 (Medium).jpg
    56.1 KB
  • Photo0589 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0589 (Medium).jpg
    63 KB
  • Photo0590 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0590 (Medium).jpg
    81.9 KB
  • Photo0593 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0593 (Medium).jpg
    68.1 KB
  • Photo0594 (Medium).jpg
    Photo0594 (Medium).jpg
    38.7 KB
ai , its beautiful part of the world...and not so far from Gauteng...love the pics Rob...thanks for posting them.

laurika said:
ai , its beautiful part of the world...and not so far from Gauteng...love the pics Rob...thanks for posting them.
Pleasure was truly all mine... There were sunflowers too but not nearly as wall to wall as my previous ride... :mwink:

RobC said:
laurika said:
Pleasure was truly all mine... There were sunflowers too but not nearly as wall to wall as my previous ride... :mwink:
yip, Schalk says the sunflowers are dropping their heads this week, too late for me...but...we can still go and see the cosmos this weekend...yay!!!

Oh how I miss that dam Free State, the roads, cosmos my favorite flower, the big sky, The thermals, clouds, the landscape and the people.
Tx for the post and photos, very lekker. 

Thanks Rob, brings back memories :thumleft:

Thanks for sharing Rob,it looks so nice and fresh out there with all the rain you`r having and the cosmos is beautiful.Pics are good,I am equally impressed with my new N8 cellphone`s picture quality.

Camped at Korannaberg (the bush camp I think its called) a couple of years ago with the bike. Great area, lovely gravel roads and goeie boeremense!